Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Last Updated:8/11/10 12:18 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 12 people

Sweater knit fabrics

Nancywin said... (8/29/10 10:00 PM) Reply
Fabulous job! You have a pattern that is flattering on you and you have made some great variations. Very nice...
WildWyoming said... (8/29/10 0:08 AM) Reply
What a wonderful job you did. You created a wardrobe that is the same time elegant and fun, all from one pattern. It goes to prove that you don't need endless patterns to create an effective wardrobe. Just pick a few classic styles that truly flatter you and thoughtfully make them up in the right fabrics. Great use of stash as well. You are an inspiration!
Jayceebee said... (8/25/10 3:12 PM) Reply
PittyPat, I believe the well-known pattern companies all do that - notice that the pattern numbers never go past the 9000s. The numbers are recycled so a number could turn up in the 60s , the 80s and in 2010 and so on. Means that you should have an idea of the year/era when referring to a specific pattern number in order to avoid mistakes and misunderstandings. BTW, I'll be sure to come back to congratulate you :-))
SoVintage said... (8/24/10 3:39 PM) Reply
WOW love all the looks
PittyPat said... (8/24/10 12:55 PM) Reply
Jayceebee, did a search for that pattern - and looks like Butterick re-uses their pattern numbers. Found the See and Sew dress but also a coat one and a suit one - all with the same number!! Wow... never knew they did that.
Jayceebee said... (8/24/10 3:34 AM) Reply
What an inspiration you are to us all. An excellent example of creativity and ingenuity!! I will be taking a new look at my pattern stash and will try to follow your example - keep up the good work!!! BTW, another pattern which is similar but OOP is See and Sew Butterick 5145 - check eBay or similar sites.
KathleenS said... (8/22/10 5:50 AM) Reply
I'm very impressed! You've got great use out of this pattern. Personally my favourite is the oriental dress.
Ashford said... (8/21/10 4:18 PM) Reply
A great demonstration of how to use a pattern multiple times. It saves money, the environment. and your stress level when trying to get the right fit. Your example will be saved in my How To notebook.
Rybe said... (8/19/10 6:02 PM) Reply
They're all great! But I totally love the blue-green top, very pretty.
PittyPat said... (8/19/10 5:34 PM) Reply
Basciknits - yes, I am a fast sewer - and been sewing for many years. But, having a TnT pattern made it go even faster than ever. Even the pants, shorts and skirts - although they were not part of the contest - were made from TnT patterns - so no fitting needed. . . just cut and sew them up. (:-D) Also I had all my fabrics picked out with outfits planned and ready to go on Day 1 of the contest.
LizBa said... (8/19/10 5:05 PM) Reply
You have a whole new wardrobe! You must be a fast sewer.
slvrsage said... (8/19/10 11:46 AM) Reply
Wow, just wow! All lovely, all kinds of different looks, and all so quickly!
SexiSadi said... (8/19/10 10:35 AM) Reply
Wow, I would have never guess that you got all those garments from just one pattern. Great job!
Heatherrique said... (8/17/10 2:07 AM) Reply
Impressively versatile, creative, and stylish!
RuthieSews said... (8/15/10 5:09 PM) Reply
Wow! What a huge number of variations. Those simple patterns can give really great flexibility.
sewmodest said... (8/15/10 3:36 PM) Reply
WOW.....now gotta pick my jaw up from the floor
rebija said... (8/14/10 3:42 PM) Reply
You are a SEWING DIVA!!! Absolutely amazing!
Nessa09 said... (8/12/10 3:17 PM) Reply
FABULOUS!
PittyPat said... (8/12/10 12:19 PM) Reply
Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. Had been meaning to make alot of outfits this summer but held off until the contest start date. I usually make 1-2 summer shorts sets tops from this pattern every year as it is so easy to adapt and accent. I bought the new Butterick pattern listed in the review as I think would be a close second to the OOP one I used. Love that I could winnow down my stash, have a new wardrobe, and enter them into the contest - all at the same time. :->
amy in mpls said... (8/12/10 6:18 AM) Reply
you are the CUTEST! what a great set of looks!
persevering said... (8/11/10 6:10 PM) Reply
Yes, I made my dresses from the same pattern (or one very close to it), which I no longer possess.
JillyBe said... (8/11/10 6:08 PM) Reply
I think you have too much time to sew, & too many clothes.....so I think you need to come visit me & sew up my stash w/ clothes for me. ;-D j/k of course! What an awesome job you did finding so many looks, AND every single one of them looks great on you!
persevering said... (8/11/10 6:00 PM) Reply
Oh yes, the memories coming back... I made a 3rd dress too, a pretty green and medium white dotted cotton, oh my maybe a 4th too, blueish print cotton and made at least 2 same fabric to these 2 dresses for my baby girl, who is 31 now.
persevering said... (8/11/10 5:55 PM) Reply
Amazing! You made all these versions and each is unique. I believe I sewed 2 dresses, a turquoise silk dress (with piping that was from the coordinating print pants fabric and a matching belt to the dress) and a Liberty red cotton print dress and belt (which I would have matched to plain color pants, I also made, over 2 decades ago, when I lived overseas. I had totally forgotten about these sewn garments, now if I'll just get back to sewing .... :) So glad to see what you've done.
barebear said... (8/11/10 5:53 PM) Reply
WOW! What an amazing variety of pieces from one pattern! Aw, and you look great in all of them. :)
julie w said... (8/11/10 5:49 PM) Reply
Very inspiring, you have really shown how to use a TNT well.
Mahogany Stylist said... (8/11/10 4:54 PM) Reply
Congratulations! Outstanding job of making different garments from a single pattern.
TalyQ said... (8/11/10 3:48 PM) Reply
Congratulatios! You have used that pattern well.
wendlesue said... (8/11/10 2:38 PM) Reply
Amazing and fabulous - all of them!!!!
lnwmelon said... (8/11/10 11:46 AM) Reply
Wow, you have inspired me. Good job!!
carolynw said... (8/11/10 8:51 AM) Reply
You sure got your money's worth out of this pattern - I love everything you have made - so versatile!!
mssewcrazy said... (8/11/10 8:40 AM) Reply
If there was a tnt contest running I think you would have a good chance of winning. It was fun seeing all the variations from your pattern-very inspiring.
velosewer said... (8/11/10 0:43 AM) Reply
You go girl.
ryansmumAria said... (8/11/10 0:18 AM) Reply
WOW! what a wonderful wardrobe...
Sandi S said... (8/10/10 11:01 PM) Reply
You did a great job - lots of variety!
Nancy1955 said... (8/10/10 8:24 PM) Reply
You look gorgeous in each of the outfits. You got your money's worth for sure!
treefrog said... (8/10/10 6:52 PM) Reply
Fantastic! I'm really impressed with what you have done with just one pattern. You fabric choices are really great. I especially like the blue/green in the bottom right corner of the photo. Well done!
Mazzygirl said... (8/10/10 4:18 PM) Reply
absolutely brilliant use of a pattern, this is what I call getting good mileage! I love all your items, all so different but all so pretty. nicely done!
katlew03 said... (8/10/10 2:16 PM) Reply
Great wardrobe from just one pattern. It's amazing how different a pattern can look with different fabrics. Great job.
RLL said... (8/10/10 1:25 PM) Reply
You got your monies worth out of this pattern! I like all of your different looks.
MNBarb said... (8/10/10 12:56 PM) Reply
You have proven that it just isn't necessary to buy a million patterns, just a few good basics that fit well and can be morphed a bit. Nice work!
jannw said... (8/10/10 12:53 PM) Reply
Wonderful versions all...you do have a great stash!
sarahinlafayette said... (8/10/10 11:31 AM) Reply
Congratulations on doing so much with fabric you already had! Clearly our fabric stashes are in a similar league. This pattern looks great on you - especially the blue-green outfit.
Aroura said... (8/10/10 11:02 AM) Reply
Really like all the looks, though I think the red/gold and the purple/black are really gorgeous on you! I can't believe how many looks you got out of this, shorts, skirts, tuinics, dresses, knit tops. Wow! Great job on all of them.
BJ1400 said... (8/10/10 10:56 AM) Reply
Wow, you have been busy! I love all the different looks - especially the Blue-Green rayon challis top.
LynnG said... (8/10/10 10:10 AM) Reply
Great job on all the different looks.
frame said... (8/10/10 10:09 AM) Reply
Wow, you got a lot of mileage out of this pattern. All of your garments are lovely. I think the wrong pattern picture is showing though. :(

by: EmeraldEri...