Pattern Reviews> Design & Planning Concepts> Hooded Orknot Coat (Hooded Orknot Coat)

Reviewed by:Mandolin82

About Mandolin82star
WA USA
Member since: 5/8/03
Posted on:11/21/05 7:15 AM
Last Updated:5/19/04 1:36 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Needs More Info by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
MSpilner said... (12/27/10 4:50 PM) Reply
Hi I bought this pattern in NY State on vacation a couple of years ago and I haven't finished yet. I believe I either lost or never got the whole pattern directions... I have only one page, two sided. On it, it has a step one, but refers to a step 9 and I have no other directions which makes it impossible to finish... do you possible have the other directions? I wish I could email you, but it doesn't seem possible.
RosaMarie said... (10/30/05 9:28 AM) Reply
Thank you for posting this review. I love the pictures of the jackets Design and Planning Concepts put on their patterns but I am wary when I see a garment that isn't modeled on a human body. It's such a disappointement to make a beautiful garment only to have it sit in the closet because it's not flattering. But I do think you did a good job. I like the coat itself, I just don't think it's a flattering design.
Mandolin82 said... (5/21/04 11:18 PM) Reply
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I just hit an amazing Vogue pattern sale (a Joann's that closing) and picked up Vogue 2757 (they were out of 7746), which I think I can adapt with the fabric I have. See Click Here I probably won't get to it until next winter. Wish me luck.
Mandolin82 said... (5/21/04 10:43 PM) Reply
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I just hit an amazing Vogue pattern sale (a Joann's that closing) and picked up Vogue 2757 (they were out of 7746), which I think I can adapt with the fabric I have. See Pattern I probably won't get to it until next winter. Wish me luck. Susan
Neefer said... (5/20/04 12:14 PM) Reply
Mini's right about the square style. It's really a shame because the pattern appeals to quilters, but then it fits terrible and probably scares them off of sewing clothing. It's beautiful on the hanger. Can you cut it apart and cut out a regular jacket? Marcy Tilton has a vogue pattern out for quilted jackets. I haven't tried it. Vogue 7746. Hey, do a search on 7746, and Ann Smith's review will show up.
PVA said... (5/19/04 11:45 PM) Reply
You might try the shoulder pads -- I agree they would help support the shoulders, and it's always flattering to the figure for the shoulders to be wider than the rest of the body. But, to me the significant statement is that it isn't comfortable to wear. On the other hand, beautiful fabrics! Construction looks great, too. The style may not be the best for you, but the colors are wonderful. Hope you try the shoulder pads. Sometimes they do wonders!
AnneM said... (5/19/04 3:00 PM) Reply
That is really pretty; lovely details. Yes, I agree w/ Mini: great wall hanging! :)
Mini said... (5/19/04 2:28 PM) Reply
This sqaure style is unflattering on ANY woman. You notice the pattern cover doesn't show it on a person, so all you see is the attractive fabric and details. I really wish pattern companies would stop making these "designer boxes". Oh well, at least your sewing skills are not at fault. It is pretty enough to be a wall hanging, and you can tell people you made it as a work of fabric art.:)
JDpenelope said... (5/19/04 10:39 AM) Reply
Just beautiful and such nice work, but I see what you mean about the fit and hang. You are adventuresome...if you're not sick of it, I'll bet you could make it work, maybe with some of the suggestions here.
marya said... (5/19/04 9:41 AM) Reply
I agree with D1Diva. I love the work that you did. You have a wonderful eye for design and detail. Thanks for the review and the pics. As for what to do with the coat... THe bag idea is fine. What about offering it on ebay, that is, if you could part with your fine work and fabrics - marge
D1Diva said... (5/19/04 9:05 AM) Reply
You did a beautiful job putting this coat together including your fabric selection. The sleeve type is not flattering for this coat- period. Set in sleeves would lift and shape the shoulders better and make the coat more flattering for anyone to wear. The design is poor, but the workmanship is excellent! Great review, thanks!
SewVeryTall said... (5/19/04 8:44 AM) Reply
Very cute coat...I'd sure hate to see you cut it up. Maybe you could add gussets from the waist down, on the sides, to add a little shape? Washing/tumble drying may soften it a bit too, and let it drape a little more.
Janine S said... (5/19/04 7:52 AM) Reply
what a pity this didn't work for you ... you've put in so much work. The fabrics work really well together and I love the design details.
valerie sews said... (5/19/04 5:58 AM) Reply
What a beautiful garment. Perhaps shoulder pads would help it hang better.

BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2009-114

by: BLT

Ottobre Design Magazine 04-2012-31

by: callmeRuth

Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Sew Liberated Mariposa Tee Pattern