Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7873

Posted on:11/21/05 6:51 AM
Last Updated:5/31/04 1:58 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 5 people

BeckyW said... (12/30/05 4:20 PM) Reply
Very nice dress. I am looking forward to making the sleeveless one for summer.
Mini said... (7/11/04 11:34 AM) Reply
The Vogue photo looked exactly like a minidress I made back in the 60's LOL! One reason the Vogue pic looks tacky is that the model is too flat to need bust darts. Your version looks like a versatile elegant dress that would flatter many figure types. The eased-in back shoulder you noted is an important fitting device that substitutes for the once ubiquitous back shoulder dart. Most women need this back shaping, but so many of today's patterns leave it out, causing a poor fit in the upper back.
CarolynGM said... (7/7/04 6:23 PM) Reply
Eme, I cut two pieces of stay tape the length of the front shoulder seam on the pattern. Then I sewed them to the wrong side of each front along the shoulder seam. This keeps the shoulder seam from stretching when the dress is worn. As for the ease line, here's why I did it. The skirt was slightly larger than the bodice, so I sewed one row of long stitches around the top of the skirt. I then "gathered" the skirt ever so slightly, by pulling on the bobbin thread to make it the same size as the bodice. I've worn this dress several times and really love it.
Eme said... (7/7/04 12:45 PM) Reply
Wow...I would have looked at the shapey drawn models, and thought, hey nice pattern. Then I would have seen the real life model and how baggy and unflattering the dress was and would have put the pattern down right then. Your real life version looks fantastic! I'm new to sewing though, and couldn't follow this part of your review: "There were a couple of omissions though, that I think are essential. I stabilized the front shoulders with stay tape and ran an easeline on the top of the skirt before attaching it to the bodice." I can probably google and find out what it means, but can you tell me why these things are necessary? (in your opinion?)
JDpenelope said... (6/5/04 7:36 AM) Reply
Couldn't be a better fit or more sophisticated look. Boy, that's a lot of buttons, though!
mag said... (6/1/04 6:58 PM) Reply
What a pretty dress. I've been looking for a nice shirtdress pattern and this one looks like it is worth getting.
CarolynGM said... (6/1/04 5:03 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone for all the great feedback on this dress -- I think I'll cut out another one this weekend, sleeveless this time with pockets somewhere. About those darts Diana M. -- the front waist darts do come up higher than most and the bust darts reach my bust point. Somehow it works for me, but that might be because I'm not particularly well-endowed. A larger busted person might need to adjust the darts.
MaryBeth said... (6/1/04 3:40 PM) Reply
It's hard imagine anything that would less than smashing on you but I've got to say that your version of this dress is much better than the pattern photo. You've added such nice touches.
KarenP said... (6/1/04 2:43 PM) Reply
I've been eyeing this pattern, and I LOVE your version. Thank you for the review!
SewTabby said... (6/1/04 12:08 PM) Reply
Woow. Absolutely gorgeous!
Harriet Rogers said... (6/1/04 10:27 AM) Reply
Wonderful choice of pattern with fabric. This looks great on you. Your comments have convinced me to buy the pattern and sew this up in linen: I love shirtwaists. Agree with others: this looks much better on you than the cover of pattern would indicate. Thanks for such a great review. I'm sure you'll get a lot of wear out of your beautiful dress.
AnneM said... (6/1/04 6:29 AM) Reply
What a nice dress for linen. I have my 1st batch of linen fabric on it's way, so I like seeing ideas on how to use it! Thanks.
Danvillegirl said... (6/1/04 5:50 AM) Reply
Very nice and looks very good on you. Your dress looks better than the photo on pattern.
valerie sews said... (6/1/04 4:59 AM) Reply
What a lovely dress, it looks great on you.
Asa Hagstrom said... (6/1/04 4:02 AM) Reply
Very elegant dress, Irina! Looks really comfortable for summer.
jlg said... (5/31/04 7:22 PM) Reply
What a beautiful summery dress.
Diana M said... (5/31/04 6:38 PM) Reply
I agree- my first thought was that your dress on you looks much better than the model on the pattern envelope -- I noticed in the pattern photo that the darts were too long and hit in an odd place. You commented that they"worked" -- are they unusually long (ie ending at the bust hi point) in the finished version?
SewingSusan said... (5/31/04 6:28 PM) Reply
It does look like you spent lots of time and effort on it. I agree that your version is much nicer than the envelope. This dress really suits you!
drsue said... (5/31/04 5:26 PM) Reply
Your dress is wonderful! Much nicer that the pattern would indicate.
Lisa Laree said... (5/31/04 4:55 PM) Reply
Sharp looking dress! The pattern pictures didn't really do anything for me when I first saw them, but I really like your interpretation...I may have to get this one after all... ;)

by: Sheila457

Runaround Bag Paper Pattern

Runaround Bag Paper Pattern

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)