Online Sewing Class: Understanding Wool Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1159 (Misses' Dress)

Reviewed by:maybbm

About maybbmstar
MA USA
Member since: 7/31/02
Posted on:9/12/10 7:55 PM
Last Updated:9/12/10 8:13 PM

kias2 said... (6/24/11 2:22 PM) Reply
I do wish I had read your review before trying to make this dress. You make it all very clear. Thank you. Lovely dress- but a NIGHTMARE to make. I really feel Vogue have let all of us that have bought this pattern down. I did contract them re all the errors and I do hope they make changes for future buyers of this pattern. Incidentally I was told by Vogue that the folded edge (step 3) is supposed to be on the arm-hole edge as it in their words ' it facilitates the crossed fronts turning to the inside'. Your explanation makes a lot more sense.
Laurie Lou said... (10/11/10 11:58 AM) Reply
Gosh! I am SO glad I read this Thanks so much for this great review with the corrections. This will be SO helpful when I make this. I love your dress too with your fabric choice.
maybbm said... (9/20/10 12:04 PM) Reply
Athene, thanks for pointing out my unclear writing. :) In order to match the fix made on pattern piece 1, back's side seams need to be lengthened by the same amount. To do this, move the circle mark, indicating the lower edge of the armhole, 1" upward along the seam line. The red line indicates the shortened back armhole section. May
Athene said... (9/19/10 8:30 PM) Reply
Great dress and very helpful review. I understand what you are doing in alternate fix on pattern piece 1 for the armholes, but for alternate piece 2 for the arm hole fix - two questions First is this also required with fix 1, and second - do the red lines on piece two mean you would be folding out 1 inch between the red lines to shorten the piece, or are you cutting 1 inch off each side of the piece?
maybbm said... (9/15/10 9:55 PM) Reply
Hi, Latebloomer. The fabric is from Fabric.com, but it was many years ago that I bought it. I am afraid it won't be available from the same source. Sorry.
latebloomer said... (9/15/10 6:38 AM) Reply
What a great dress. Thank you for detailing the corrections you made. Also, that fabric is beautiful. May I ask where you found it?
Lucy in Virginia said... (9/13/10 1:10 PM) Reply
Lovely dress. I really appreciate the time you took to detail the mistakes in this pattern.
maybbm said... (9/13/10 12:04 PM) Reply
Hi, Marcia. I just edited photos I took with a picture editor. It takes a while to get used to drawing tools, but eventually you will get the hang of it. Good luck!
Marcia R said... (9/13/10 9:54 AM) Reply
I was wondering how you add the red notation lines and arrows. I would like to also be able to do this

Understanding Knit Fabrics