Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5522 (Misses shirts)

Reviewed by:Lisa Laree

Last Updated:12/10/10 11:21 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
MNBarb said... (12/11/10 10:31 PM) Reply
UGH! I made a pattern this summer that had the same arm-binding problem. We need 1) a support group and 2)a solution. Is it that the armscye is too low? BTW, I like this style of blouse on you.
blue mooney said... (12/11/10 12:31 PM) Reply
Nice shirt and very useful review! The stripes look really good - don't think I've seen this pattern made up in a stripe before.
spiphany said... (12/11/10 11:14 AM) Reply
I've been working on this pattern and am having the exact same problem with the arms binding that you have, and I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it. (I suspect the reason other reviewers haven't mentioned it is because most of them did views with fuller sleeves.)
Christas said... (12/11/10 10:47 AM) Reply
Very nice review! Your blouse looks very pretty on you!
KensingtonCrab said... (12/11/10 8:35 AM) Reply
I think you did a great job lining up the stripes in the front! Cute top and I appreciate the great review. I have this pattern and will definately do a muslin first.
Margaret said... (12/11/10 4:45 AM) Reply
The shirt looks great! And I do like the stripes falling horizontally on the collar in front -- reapeats the horizontal stripe on the cuffs. Hope you still get to wear it often despite the sleeves binding. My guess is there is too much armhole depth in this pattern for such a fitted sleeve. I've heard of 1" below your real underarm being a good depth for armholes... although such a fixed measurement applying to everyone seems a bit suspect to me. Thanks, too, for all the informative comments on the fit of this pattern!
SusiM said... (12/11/10 1:28 AM) Reply
OMG! I just wore this same pattern today, and was thinking of adding a review. I made exactly the same alterations that you did: lowered the bust, adjusted the waist length, etc. AND I have the exact experience with armhole/sleeve. It looks great, but there's that problem with raising the arms. I figured it was something I did. Thankyou, thankyou for mentioning all the fitting info. I'll need to add my review soon. Your blouse looks good.
carolynw said... (12/10/10 11:27 PM) Reply
Lisa this is so pretty - am glad you persisted. That's a bit of a bummer with the arm restriction but I hope you get a lot of wear out of this.

by: FreyaStark