Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 5208 (Plus size knit top)

Reviewed by:JDpenelope

About JDpenelopestarstar
Member since: 9/9/03
Posted on:6/29/04 10:58 PM
Last Updated:6/30/04 0:33 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

Other Projects by JDpenelope using this Pattern

Mary Stiefer said... (6/30/04 6:48 PM) Reply
No, I haven't - if you have some tips on how to do that - please let me know. I still like that red color. - hehehe
JDpenelope said... (6/30/04 11:27 AM) Reply
Ugh Duplicate post. Sorry.
JDpenelope said... (6/30/04 11:25 AM) Reply
D1Diva - No offense taken! Diva and Mary -- I really appreciate your tips--and will definitely try them--because the waving neckline almost gave me heart failure! Mary -- If you're still there, have you tried bias binding with knit fabric, also? Thanks again.
Mary Stiefer said... (6/30/04 10:38 AM) Reply
I have made this same top many times and love it. I used the bias cut for the neckline and it always works if you do one thing - cut the neckline piece shorter than it calls for. This way, the stretch is taken care of and it lays quite flat after that. Start with 1/2" and then stretch to fit the neckline. If there still is too much give try cutting it a bit shorter. If you plan on making this a few more times, this is the easiest way to go. P.s. I love the red color
D1Diva said... (6/30/04 9:50 AM) Reply
Penelope, I apologize! When I reread my comment, I thought it sounded kind of snooty. I didn't mean it that way! Try cutting the elastic first and see if that helps the "wave" problem. Also, I love the red fabric. It's so vibrant and lively!
D1Diva said... (6/30/04 9:33 AM) Reply
So nice of you to donate your time and skill for such a good cause. One comment about the clear elastic tip from Deepika. Cutting the elastic before sewing, according to the pattern measurement, is neccessary to control stretching especially along bias edges. Sewing uncut elastic onto a stretched out (and sometimes it doesn't look stretched until you compare it to the pattern) piece of fabric may defeat the purpose of using the elastic.
JDpenelope said... (6/30/04 8:28 AM) Reply
Thanks, ladies. Now that I think of it, maybe "GAPOSIS" isn't really the right term. What happened was the neckline waved and stretched out of shape. Amazing that the fiddling (pressing it down in place) and steaming actually worked--and it seems to be holding after several days of additional handling.
SouthernStitch said... (6/30/04 7:56 AM) Reply
Thanks for such detail about your neckline finish! Your top will be well appreciated!
Debbie Cook said... (6/30/04 2:00 AM) Reply
Brava Penolope!! The shirt looks great, and you should feel proud for contributing such a thoughtful and beautiful to a woman who will surely feel blessed.