Pattern Reviews> Sewing Workshop> Soho Coat (Soho Coat)

Reviewed by:magoe6217

About magoe6217star
MD USA
Member since: 1/25/07
Posted on:1/13/11 11:55 AM
Last Updated:9/4/11 10:36 AM

See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Dlaws said... (3/23/13 10:40 PM) Reply
This is absolutely gorgeous on you, and I love the fabric. Your alterations are similar to my own, too, so I found your review particularly helpful. I am a big fan of hooded coats and have been hard pressed to find something with a simple, but elegant design. This is the perfect blend of those qualities. Excellent job!
ryansmumAria said... (9/7/11 0:53 AM) Reply
wow!
Sue Parrott said... (9/4/11 9:54 PM) Reply
Really great coat!
marec said... (9/4/11 8:14 PM) Reply
I am so glad this popped up again, as i travel in the winter and missed it. We are about the same height and I was interested to see how you dealt with the bold pattern with this coat. It is gorgeous, and thank you for sharing your work!!
sewin said... (9/4/11 6:06 PM) Reply
Fabulous coat. What style and a great review too.
magoe6217 said... (9/2/11 2:46 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for the information about the wool I used to make my coat. I didn't know it was a Pendleton fabric, although I thought it looked like one. I was also very interested in reading about the inspiration for the design and the symbolism behind it on the Pendleton web site. Surprisingly, the price Pendleton is charging is almost twice as much as I paid for the fabric at B&J in NYC. Also, in Vogue's July, 2011 issue there is a coat made of this exact fabric (topper length) with a price tag of $1,070 (see picture in updated posting), so I am not feeling as if my coat was quite so big a splurge after all :-)
playtheukulele said... (9/1/11 1:14 PM) Reply
Hello Everyone, I know I am late on this thread, but I just wanted to let you guys know that you can order Pendleton wool by the yard. In fact, according the site, this particular pattern is called Spirit of the Peoples (blanket-weight). BTW, I think it turned out great. Just another example of how a clean pattern can really knock a complicated one out of the water with really great fabric. I have always wanted to order from the Pendleton site, but with the price, never followed through, because I just wasn't sure how it would work with patterns. So, thank you for the great example and review. If anyone is interested - here is the listing for this fabric online: http://www.pendleton-usa.com/product/Home-Blankets/Fabric/BLANKET-WEIGHT-FABRIC/SPIRIT-OF-THE-PEOPLES-FABRIC/167537/sc/1709/sc/1709/c/1828/pc/1816.uts
Barbi 29 said... (4/17/11 10:42 PM) Reply

Barbi 29 said... (4/17/11 10:42 PM) Reply
WOWEEEE!!! That is one INCREDIBLE coat!! I have had this pattern in my stash forever, and just couldn't figure out what kind of fabric I wanted to use for it. Now I know what to look for - but I can't imagine ever finding anything quite as PERFECT as yours! You did an absolutely amazing job. BRAVO!!
MaddyGranMa said... (1/30/11 1:55 PM) Reply
This coat is stunning on you! The "fashion shoot" photos are so overwhelming that I had difficulty grabbing my mind to notice the expert fabric choice, fabric placement, addition of accessories, and workmanship involved in this beautiful garment! Just lovely and you and the coat seemed to be made for each other. If there is anymore of this fabric left at B&J's, its probably sold out by now and they are probably wondering what happened to cause the overwhelming "fire-sale" on this particular fabric. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for noting your fabric adjustments in cutting out the coat. A triple WOW!
JETrinity said... (1/15/11 11:50 AM) Reply
Your print just makes this pattern pop.
Harriet Rogers said... (1/14/11 9:54 PM) Reply
Love, love, love your version of this, what now has almost become our G Street Class Coat. For those of you thinking of making this, go for it. Carol, Mary and I are all ecstatic about how this pattern has turned out...and none of us used the same fabric. A truly wonderful pattern by Sewing Workshop.
AnneMarie60 said... (1/14/11 12:27 PM) Reply
Fabulous! Love the style and your amazingly gorgeous fabric.
LynnG said... (1/14/11 9:52 AM) Reply
Simply gorgeous!
becca a said... (1/14/11 8:55 AM) Reply
Superb coat! This is a perfect marriage of fabric and pattern. Fun!
Karine said... (1/14/11 8:01 AM) Reply
This is one of my all-time favorite patterns, and your creation is amazing. Beautiful choice of fabric for this coat, and your closures are perfect.
Sanibelle said... (1/14/11 2:32 AM) Reply
It looks so beautiful on you! Thanks for mentioning where you did the shortening.
marjoriekh said... (1/13/11 11:30 PM) Reply
You look stunning. This is inspirational. Love the back view, too!
lamstu said... (1/13/11 10:12 PM) Reply
Lovely coat! Excellent pairing of fabric and style and very good use of the motif too. The toggle buttons work well with the fabric.
SewWil said... (1/13/11 10:12 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! Your coat looks great on you. I love everything about it. Good job!
MNBarb said... (1/13/11 9:30 PM) Reply
What a perfectly unique garment that will be wearable forever.
marthamyers said... (1/13/11 8:11 PM) Reply
What a great piece! I too love the fabric and the way you have placed it. The closures are perfect too. Thanks for highlighting this coat pattern and describing your experience with it. Nice work!
DorothyK said... (1/13/11 7:50 PM) Reply
Absolutely stunning. The perfect marriage between fabric and pattern. I have been wanting to make this pattern for a long time. Now it's at the top of my list.
VtMartha said... (1/13/11 6:16 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat! The fabric is perfect for it.
carolynw said... (1/13/11 5:56 PM) Reply
Oh my goodness - this is drop dead gorgeous. Love the fabric and the way you placed the design.
ggf2005 said... (1/13/11 4:59 PM) Reply
Cool coat!
BillieJean said... (1/13/11 4:29 PM) Reply
This is lovely!
Christas said... (1/13/11 4:12 PM) Reply
Oh, my! Your lovely sewing and choice of fabric have made one VERY amazing coat!
Ann Smith said... (1/13/11 3:01 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat. You chose the perfect pattern for the striking fabric.
Clareew said... (1/13/11 2:04 PM) Reply
I love your coat. I had not noticed this pattern before, your version is stunning.
sew2little said... (1/13/11 1:48 PM) Reply
Wow! This is a showstopper: fabulous pattern placement!
magoe6217 said... (1/13/11 1:37 PM) Reply
To answer Auntie Allyn's question, my fabric came from B&J Fabrics in NYC. I considered using a Pendleton wool blanket but could not find exactly what I was looking for. I had in my mind that I wanted a coat made from an Indian blanket and this piece at B&J came the closest to the picture I had in my head. It helped that it was 64" wide since the hood is cut in one piece with the body of the coat.
Barbara V said... (1/13/11 1:26 PM) Reply
Fabulous looking coat. Your toggle closures compliment the fabric beautifully and the length you chose looks totally in wonderful proportion for you. Great work!
Auntie Allyn said... (1/13/11 1:01 PM) Reply
Question: Did you use a Pendleton wool blanket? I've always wanted to make a coat out of a Pendleton blanket . . .
Auntie Allyn said... (1/13/11 1:00 PM) Reply
Your coat is just stunning! Love the fabric!!
JillyBe said... (1/13/11 12:56 PM) Reply
Your fabric choice & placement on the pattern is just stunning! I want to wear your coat exactly as is - great job!
Terri K said... (1/13/11 12:50 PM) Reply
Super look on you and I love the fashion shoot! Thanks for the detailed review and info on sizing. Since the original length would overwhelm me, I e-mailed Linda Lee for advice on shortening this to my topper length 33-34". She advised to fold up the pattern to keep the asymmetrical hem vs just cutting it off.

by: Dale C

Favorite Things Little Hip Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Little Hip Skirts Pattern

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

HotPatterns Fringe Festival Knit Top