Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2908 (Women's Stretch Jeans)

Reviewed by:ryan's mom

About ryan's momstarstarstar
Member since: 11/30/04

Best Patterns of 2009
Posted on:1/25/11 9:34 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
See other patterns in this category: Pants
Mahogany Stylist said... (3/30/11 12:53 PM) Reply
Outstanding! Great looking well fitting jeans.
persevering said... (1/27/11 1:32 PM) Reply
You look fabulous in your great looking/fitting jeans. Your diligence and sharing is greatly appreciated. Except for being shorter in height by 3", I believe I can learn so much from you because my body shape and measurements are close to yours and I need all the help I can glean from everything I read. Your blog postings are appreciated too.
cleverclogs said... (1/27/11 6:21 AM) Reply
Fabulous jeans and your blog record of making duct-tape models of a garment is a great resource. Thankyou very much!
Sewphisticated Artisan said... (1/26/11 10:39 PM) Reply
Wow! I am preshrinking some denim as I type to sew these up next week. I hope I get as good a fit as you. Great job!
ryan's mom said... (1/26/11 5:04 PM) Reply
Woggy, I think I washed them first and taped them before wearing. The jeans that I duct taped are a stretch denim, but they are not as stretchy as the fabric I used so I took that into account. I don't know how much the thigh area stretches, as opposed to the crotch curve, and that (the thigh area) was most important to me. You might want to go with the fit you like after wearing and tape it at that point and use 1" side seam allowances. The duct tape/pattern comparison was just a basic reference so if I saw a glaring discrepancy in the widths, I could decide how to handle it before cutting into the fabric.
woggy said... (1/26/11 4:47 PM) Reply
Terrific looking jeans. Your blog has great information on how you did your jeans. One question for you: when you duct taped your jeans, did you do this process after you had worn your jeans or right after you washed them? My fave jeans stretch out after washing. They are made from 100 percent denim and snug when I first wear them. But I like how they fit and feel after a day or two. Thanks for your response.
Dale C said... (1/26/11 2:58 PM) Reply
I'll have to drag my pattern back out again. Yours looks great and your blog was helpful. Thanks for reviewing it again. Whenever I see one of these reviews, I look for more stretch denim... LOL
Dei said... (1/26/11 11:28 AM) Reply
Fantastic job!
cleverkitty said... (1/26/11 10:02 AM) Reply
Great looking Jeans, you can also thread two strands of thread through a jeans needle and get the thick thread look. Upholstery thread can mess up the timing of a home machine and colors are limited. I want to try this pattern, thank-you for the review!
JEF said... (1/26/11 9:10 AM) Reply
Beautiful jeans!
ryan's mom said... (1/26/11 8:39 AM) Reply
Thank you for the kind words! For the topstitching, I used a yellow/gold upholstery thread on all double layers with regular weight Guterman thread in the bobbin with a stitch length of 3.5 mm. Once I got to multiple layers of 3+, my machine started balking with skipped stitches so I switched to the gold Guterman for my needle thread with the triple stitch setting on my machine with a 3.5 mm stitch length. This gave me that thick top stitching look of the upholstery weight thread without the machine getting cranky.
MNBarb said... (1/26/11 7:31 AM) Reply
Isn't this just the BEST pattern? Your jeans look great with a perfect fit and nice construction details. I'll just warn you that this pattern is addictive and you will find yourself making many variations; corduroy, different colors of topstitching, different pockets....it just keeps going.
FreyaStark said... (1/26/11 0:58 AM) Reply
They look fabulous on you. The topstitching is especially impressive.
Mufffet said... (1/25/11 11:39 PM) Reply
Oh boy - how great this looks on you! :) Good work for sure!
Rhoda K said... (1/25/11 10:59 PM) Reply
Great jeans and very good fit.
Sew4Fun said... (1/25/11 10:35 PM) Reply
Of course PR needs another Jalie Jeans review. :) I found all the details on your blog most helpful. Great job.
aliann1 said... (1/25/11 10:35 PM) Reply
These look great. Clicked through to your profile and see you have a Janome Memory Craft 3000. Is this the machine you did the topstitching on?
sewing for fun said... (1/25/11 9:59 PM) Reply
Great, detailed review! Your jeans look terrific!
Christas said... (1/25/11 9:56 PM) Reply
These look FANTASTIC!!! I love this pattern, but still have only made it for my daughters. I want a pair for me, me, me! Your topstitching looks so nice on both pairs .... excellent sewing!
no7262 said... (1/25/11 9:42 PM) Reply
They look great! Nice job! Nora :)

BurdaStyle Magazine 06-2009-125