Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 970 (loose-fitting pant)

Viewed 1966 times
Reviewed by:Tini

About Tinistarstarstar
GERMANY
Posted on:7/25/04 4:47 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
See other patterns in this category: Pants

Julia Graham said... (10/21/04 9:46 AM) Reply
Tini, you and I have the same lower-body type (I've used Jalie too and have that same size-gap from U to X between waist and hip) so your reviews are always helpful to me. One thing that has helped me tremendously with fitting pants (and I haven't yet reviewed the pairs I've done this on) is a curved (also called contour) waistband. If the waistband is wider than usual (like 2-3 inches) it works even better. I slice the waistband from top to bottom on each half, left and right, and overlap a 1/4 inch or more at the top only, leaving the bottom edge its original size so it still fits onto the top of the back pants piece. I _also_ do what I think you're describing, taking out sometimes as much as 2 inches at the center back waist seam, but the slash-and-overlap approach to the waistband really helps it fit in around my sway back. I'll keep watching for your pant reviews!
Vibek said... (7/26/04 5:30 AM) Reply
Good job! I agree with you on the back pockets. Why not trace of a pocket you like from another pair of jeans? You dont even have to use any of your own jeans for that ...
SandraB said... (7/25/04 10:11 PM) Reply
Love your jeans Tini. I Think they look really good on you. Thanks for a very informative review.
SouthernStitch said... (7/25/04 8:33 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for this informative review. I may have to try these since they run so big!
Lorna C. Newman said... (7/25/04 6:38 PM) Reply
Tini, have you read the last issue of Threads? I think Peggy Sagers did an article on fixing that area of the back. I have not rried it on my jeans as the issue came after I had them cut out! But I may have to try it on the next pair of pants!
Debbie Cook said... (7/25/04 2:28 PM) Reply
Tini, whatever problems you were having, it looks like you overcame them. The jeans look great.
Levone said... (7/25/04 1:33 PM) Reply
Great job on your jeans. They look good on you.
Karla Kizer said... (7/25/04 11:00 AM) Reply
"a more female figure with energy reserves at the hip " LOL. I LOVE it! I'm not fat, I'm a natural resource! Tini, the jeans look great and you deserve a lot of credit for sticking with the project when you encountered the fitting problems. For those of us who are too cowardly to attempt making all the changes necessary, may I recommend Jalie 968 - a slightly lowrise cut with either straight or bootcut (Jalie describes it both ways). 968 has far less ease in the hip (3/4", I think) but still has the great Jalie crotch draft - best I've ever used. When I used 968 to make shorts for DD, I went up a size for a roomier fit, and they still fit and looked great.
Hilary said... (7/25/04 10:40 AM) Reply
Great job on your jeans, Tini! I am having the same problem with baggy rear pants :oP I am going to go w/ Nancy Zieman's Fitting Finesse book's recommendations to go down 2 sizes from your hip measurement and just increase at the hip and waist if needed. I have made pants using her method before and they fit beautifully, but this time I used PFRP and they're way too big. Maybe you can find a copy, she uses the pivot and slide method which is really easy, I think. Good luck with your next pair! (btw, I think these look good on you).
cindyann said... (7/25/04 10:28 AM) Reply
Thanks for this review Tini. I've looked at that pattern a few time. Thanks for the tips. Considering your problems with sizing you got a nice looking pair of jeans.
drsue said... (7/25/04 9:06 AM) Reply
Thanks for the warnings on this pattern. I own it to and have a similar figure so you comments will be very helpful.
Mollykat said... (7/25/04 8:40 AM) Reply
Gret review! Thanks for the fitting advice for these jeans.
Linda E. said... (7/25/04 8:36 AM) Reply
great job on the jeans. I have this pattern I had big plans for it just don't find enough time to get to it.
els said... (7/25/04 8:22 AM) Reply
Tini, you did a great job to alter the jeans to fit you very nice.

More Knits