Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3878

About fattyboomboomstarstar
USA
Member since: 2/10/09
Posted on:5/31/11 8:53 AM

See other patterns in this category: Formalwear
radollrose said... (6/29/11 2:01 AM) Reply
Mary, I was beyond impressed by the finished dress, then I saw the Jason Wu comparison! Wow!! Not only does it reflect and honor the original dress design, it is beautiful in its own way. Brilliant!
manola6176 said... (6/28/11 8:35 AM) Reply
I love everything about this dress and the story behind it is fabulous. Congratulation winning a well deserved 1st prize
WJean said... (6/26/11 0:32 AM) Reply
Love caused you to commit to making such a beautiful garment for your niece, and it was that same love that enabled you to finish it even though it was being completed on her way out the door. You are to be commended for your work!
LisaG said... (6/24/11 9:33 AM) Reply
WOW! This dress is gorgeous! Congratulations on winning the Knock-Off Contest. I agree with everyone else--it was well deserved. If you find yourself in this situation in the future (and let's face it. An aunt who will sew 1,000 chiffon petals on a dress is not likely to say no to a future request!!!), you might consider using Skype to help with long-distance fitting. All you need is a computer and webcam on both ends. The service is free. It could help you see the muslin from all angles and gauge fit.
mendospot said... (6/21/11 5:33 PM) Reply
Yowza!
DesignsByDenise said... (6/18/11 12:03 PM) Reply
Congratulations on winning the contest! The dress is beautiful, and your review is terrific. What a lucky niece you have! I truly understand the difficulty of fitting those far away, as most of my sewing is for my daughters, who both live 1/3 of the country away. But I think they're getting better at speaking "sewese", and I measure them mercilessly when I see them! Again, terrific job on a beautiful interpretation of that inspiration dress.
Leora said... (6/16/11 2:19 PM) Reply
This must have been all consuming, what an undertaking but soooo worth it. Amazingly beautiful work!
moushka said... (6/15/11 10:36 AM) Reply
Lucky niece - she'd better name her first-born after you! Gorgeous dress, great review. You deserved to win.
StephiLuna said... (6/14/11 11:04 AM) Reply
So beautiful and inspiring! You are obviously Aunt of the Year!
Chris Kelly said... (6/14/11 2:16 AM) Reply
Beautiful!!!!!
Erin D said... (6/13/11 10:22 PM) Reply
You have a great story as well as an amazing dress. Congratulations!
EveS said... (6/13/11 9:39 PM) Reply
Hooooly moly!!! You are da woman!!!
FreyaStark said... (6/13/11 8:32 PM) Reply
A fabulous dress, a fine effort and a great labour of love. Congratulations on your well-deserved win.
Raye Ann said... (6/13/11 6:26 PM) Reply
stunning dress! you DESERVED this prize!!!! what a great auntie you are.
fuzzygalore said... (6/9/11 8:39 AM) Reply
You definitely get the Auntie Mame Award for this one :-). With extra credit for the distance. Next time (I know..) have someone else take pictures of her in the dress, and moving in several positions. That was a tip from a friend which saved me when I made a wedding dress for someone else's niece, an ocean apart.
Rosesred said... (6/7/11 8:41 AM) Reply
Dear god, this is a stunning dress! Constructionwise, it looks beautiful and the hours spend on it are clear; the level of workmanship looks so very high. Great dress and a beautiful knock off
Sewingelle said... (6/7/11 0:28 AM) Reply
Wow. That is one fabulous dress!
annakeeton said... (6/3/11 6:32 PM) Reply
The dress you made is stunning!
JillyBe said... (6/3/11 2:33 PM) Reply
I have to pick my jaw up off the table before I can speak. Stunning!!!!!!!!!!!
loti said... (6/3/11 11:50 AM) Reply
I want one :) You did a lovely job, and so many pedals yikes.
Bonnie O said... (6/3/11 8:10 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress!
Paris75008 said... (6/3/11 4:53 AM) Reply
OMG that dress is just unbelievably gorgeous. Amazing sewing and a perfect knockoff. Very entertaining review, too. Lucky niece indeed
fattyboomboom said... (6/2/11 8:50 PM) Reply
Thanks for all your kind words! Yes, the edges of the petals do fray a bit at the parts that are not cut on the bias. I worried about that at first, couldn't think of a solution other than using an excessive number of petals to compensate for the inevitable loss of coverage.
Dale C said... (6/2/11 3:24 PM) Reply
I was wondering the same thing as Deepika... do they fray? It's absolutely stunning and such a lot of work! Your niece looks very pleased.
Mahogany Stylist said... (6/2/11 1:50 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! Good luck.
Deepika said... (6/2/11 12:47 PM) Reply
Beautiful! I hope your niece realizes how lucky she is. Please ask her to read the review so she can understand how much love went into this dress. I really like the petals on the dress and am thinking about incorporating them on a top. Question: Did you have to finish the raw edges on the petals? Do they fray?
VirginiasDghter said... (6/1/11 7:19 PM) Reply
This is sooooo beautiful. Talk about crafts"woman"ship! I love it! 900?.......900 CHIFFON petals? THAT is unbelieveable. Sounds a little a intimidating. I'd take either Myles or John by themselves...but together? I feel you! You did a FANTASTIC job on this dress. Your niece looks very elegant. Nice job!
popo said... (6/1/11 12:11 PM) Reply
This is absolutely stunning!
montanachic said... (6/1/11 9:55 AM) Reply
Wow, really beautiful.
pdiddly said... (6/1/11 2:08 AM) Reply
You deserve a medal congratulations on all your hard work - you sound like me I made my niece her wedding cake and bouquets and now her sister has asked I do the same for her wedding in September too - so I know how you feel -exhausted and proud that it came out so well
mesewlot said... (6/1/11 0:50 AM) Reply
OMG, your review is sympathetically funny. :) I really enjoyed reading it. Hands down, I have to agree with Lakaribane~ Aunt of the Year is very fitting! Wonderful job!
Aroura said... (5/31/11 8:45 PM) Reply
The dress turned out absolutely amazing! The fit looks very good, and the petals...wow, I'm in awe of the work. Beautiful!
Sigrid. said... (5/31/11 3:51 PM) Reply
WOW, what a beautiful knock-off. Absolutely amazing. I'm in awe, 1000 petals cutting and sewing. You are a wonderful aunt! Do make sure the review is entered in the contest.
peaceykeen said... (5/31/11 3:51 PM) Reply
I was hoping you would be able to work it out in time! The dress looks wonderful!
arianamaniacs said... (5/31/11 2:43 PM) Reply
This turned out so great! You're a wonderful Auntie!
Carol Mendoza said... (5/31/11 12:57 PM) Reply
What an undertaking!! Great job and one lucky niece.
Jacqui315 said... (5/31/11 9:44 AM) Reply
Very gorgeous indeed!
lakaribane said... (5/31/11 9:05 AM) Reply
I think you're a contender for Aunt of the Year after this petal adventure, LOL! Are you running it in the Knock-Off contest? You don't have the banner up.

by: janelouise