Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 04-2010-116 (GI Jane dress)

Review submitted in Knock-Off Contest - 2011 Contest

Last Updated:5/27/11 3:42 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people

loti said... (6/3/11 11:43 AM) Reply
Karin, I understand when a pattern give you trouble but you've turned it around, I love the details and the contrast pocket flaps.
fattyboomboom said... (5/31/11 9:03 AM) Reply
Beautiful topstitching and choice of buttons.
Karin Mantefors said... (5/29/11 3:06 AM) Reply
The pattern is sized up to 46 and Im a 48. I added 6 cm to the hiparea breaking up the horisontal lines. Still I could not button the dress there, not enough fabric so I inserted panels in the side. Im not sure how it became too small there and I dont feel like spending too much time exploring it, I fixed my dress. But if I would make a dress more simular to the original I would want the yoke to be smaller in the front more of a mens style skirt ( There is a long sleeved shirt too, a variation of the pattern ) There are others who had have luck with this pattern and I would not blame Burda but I would not use it again
taylormade said... (5/29/11 0:04 AM) Reply
I didn't really understand why she would rate this pattern the way she did. Why wouldn't she recommend it?
annakeeton said... (5/28/11 6:17 PM) Reply
Cute dress and with flat felled seams, it's likely better constructed than most RTW.
Re Becca said... (5/28/11 9:52 AM) Reply
Wow! great job on all those pockets and tabs! I really like the sleeve band, thats a detail that I might not have taken the time to do but it really adds to the pizazz. I love the contrasting flowers too.
Karin Mantefors said... (5/28/11 4:13 AM) Reply
Oh Im very happy with the dress its the original pattern that might not work for me but with all changes I made Im not really sure if there is something wrong with the pattern, but I thing there are other patterns anyway with better cut of the front yoke. I love my dress and had a lot of fun doing all the details, Ive been not doing a lot of sewing lately but I think Im back in buisiness now...
FreyaStark said... (5/28/11 3:50 AM) Reply
It looks really good to me so I am sorry you do not feel happy with it. If you wanted to try again you could use Burda 7827 (an envelope pattern) to try a similar look.
Amanda.Claire said... (5/27/11 7:12 PM) Reply
Lovely stitching!
Elaray said... (5/27/11 7:06 PM) Reply
Don't you feel proud after having done all of those design details? The dress looks great!
SewWil said... (5/27/11 4:07 PM) Reply
Great job on this dress!!! Love the contrasting fabric. Nice touch.
Dale C said... (5/27/11 3:55 PM) Reply
Wow. Perfect topstitching and wonderful details. I especially like the appliques you added and the contrasting fabrics you used on the undersides of pockets and stuff.
Karin Mantefors said... (5/27/11 3:39 PM) Reply
I have to comment myself. The patternlink is not correct it should be mod 116 that I transformed to a 48 for me

Kwik Sew 2100