Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4560 (Diaper Bag)

Reviewed by:Anelie

About Aneliestar
AUSTRALIA
Member since: 3/11/08
Posted on:6/20/11 11:52 AM

See other patterns in this category: Crafts

lisalu said... (3/9/12 10:53 AM) Reply
I am in the process of making this bag and I found your review very helpful! Based on your experience I trimmed off the seam allowance of the fleece sections before fusing. I'm surprised the instructions didn't specify that to begin with. The extra bulk of the fleece is NOT necessary in the seams! I also shortened the strap by 5" - thanks for the heads up on that. As for binding the shoulder pad thingie, since I trimmed the SA on the fleece it wasn't unmanageable but also I have two words for the next person who is applying binding to this section: GLUE STICK! Works like a charm (I will elaborate when I write my own review!) Again, thanks for your review it got me off to a good start on this project. :)
lisalu said... (3/9/12 10:53 AM) Reply
Anelie said... (6/21/11 6:29 AM) Reply
Hestiah, you're a genius - I might just do that to the strap, as it really is exceptionally long! And you're right, if I'd been thinking, I should have clipped the fleece out of the seam allowances before sewing. Next time..! ;-)
hestiah said... (6/20/11 7:29 PM) Reply
Also, to fix the too long strap--if its nearly impossible to get one end out to shorten (and it looks like it might be b/c its sewn in between the lining & outside bag and topstitched), you could slide the shoulder pad thing down, chop out what you need to from the center of the strap, and sew it back together (either in a seam or overlapping), with the idea that the shoulder pad thing would cover up your fix (you could even tack it to the strap at the top so it never uncovered your secret). Depends on how much too long it is, and how annoying it ends up being as to whether its worth it.
hestiah said... (6/20/11 7:23 PM) Reply
I love your choice of using contrast fabric, it makes a great modern looking bag! One tip you might try: when using thick interfacing or fusible fleece, trim off the seam allowances of the fusible--this way the bag has body but the seams aren't so thick. I have a variety of patterns that include this in the directions, and just as many that don't...hmmm, toss up to brand/personal preference I guess. You'll be a rockin' new mama with your custom nappy bag! And kudos on achieving such a professional looking finish as a beginning sewer!

Bluegingerdoll The Ava Jacket Paper Pattern