Pattern Reviews> Christine Jonson> 115 (Inset Jacket)

Viewed 2041 times
Reviewed by:Debra H

About Debra Hstarstarstarstar
Member since: 7/16/04
Posted on:9/24/04 3:15 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
JDpenelope said... (9/27/04 6:41 PM) Reply
Wow, thanks for that detailed explanation. Your techniques are quite impressive.
Debra H said... (9/27/04 10:45 AM) Reply
I get alot of my fibers from Fabulous Fibers which sells many colors of different kinds of fibers in 5 yard cards. They have a website. Some are chenille, some are feathery, some are knotty, some are multi-tone, some are shiny rayon, etc. I use a really easy couching technique from Threads (what would we do without it??) that take less time that couching each fiber individually, but only works on washable fabric. 1. I first reinforce the back of each pre-washed garment piece to be is best to cut the piece about an inch larger all the way around as the couching will cause the piece to draw up some. I usually interface with Fusi-Knit or French Fuse to provide a good base. If the fabric is really lightweight like rayon challis or silky fabrics, then I will may add another layer of interfacing...or if I want it to keep a softer hand, I add some washaway stablizer to the back side and tack it in place around the edges. 2. Then, I arrange the fibers over the any pattern that I like. Sometimes curly or curvy...sometimes straight. I may add some small squares or triangles of contrasting fabric as well. 3. Then, place one layer of sheer water soluble stabilizer over the top and then pin this around edges and every 2-3 inches in the middle. It is very important to pin the middle sections before you baste around the piece to hold the stabilizer in place. Without those middle pins, the stablizer tends to pull and pucker too much when you stitch around the outer edges. 4. Decide on what colors of threads to use for your couching and what type of stitches to use. I just used straight and zigzag stitches on this top, but you can use many decorative stitches as well. I tend to sew in wavy diagonal directions. 5. When done, wash the piece in cool water and press the back side.
drsue said... (9/25/04 9:35 PM) Reply
I'm glad you reviewed this. I love how you did your embellishng.
Susan R said... (9/25/04 3:23 PM) Reply
Wow, your jacket is amazing--especially the couched embellishments!
JDpenelope said... (9/25/04 6:23 AM) Reply
Fabulous! Can you give us more info and your "couching various textures of fibers." It is beautiful!
MaryLynn in Long Beach said... (9/24/04 7:59 PM) Reply
Gorgeous Jacket! Great work.
Teri said... (9/24/04 7:26 PM) Reply
I love the embellishment! Has the look of high end RTW.
Denny1600 said... (9/24/04 5:47 PM) Reply
This jacket is wonderful. I'm especially impressed with the embellishments. I'm getting back to sewing after a few years away from it, so I'm impressed by your advanced sewing skills. Well done.
jlg said... (9/24/04 4:45 PM) Reply
Very nice. I also like the embellishment on the inset.
Elona said... (9/24/04 4:32 PM) Reply
That is really cute. I love the cheerful color, too.
Mary Stiefer said... (9/24/04 4:22 PM) Reply
Your jacket is absolutely gorgeous. I love the embellishment of the inset.
Amanda L said... (9/24/04 3:55 PM) Reply
Your jacket is beautiful. Thanks for reviewing this pattern, as it is one of the next on my list to make.

Period Patterns 16: Tunics

by: JuneHawk

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

SewBaby Easy Pieces Jumper Pattern