Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6407 (Misses' Shirts)

Reviewed by:andread

About andreadstarstar
Member since: 1/30/06
Posted on:10/1/11 4:18 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people

tallygirl said... (3/26/12 7:59 PM) Reply
I was put straight by a fellow sewer once on choice of interfacing, I would just use what I had. She pointed out how a too stiff interfacing ruined the front placket by making it bulge. So some years ago I found a roll of knitted iron on interfacing that was made in two weights down the roll. I bought the whole roll and have loved using it, it adheres beautifully, doesnt bubble or bulge and gives beautiful body to fabrics. Also use when stitching collar points rather than a right hand angle seam, stop one stitch befor turn, needle down, one stitch on 45deg then needle down and turn the remaining 45 degrees. Then grade allowances and turn through with a point turner and press. Australian Sewing with Stitches magazine is fantastic for sewing tips and help, I love it.
andread said... (10/4/11 0:43 AM) Reply
I don't know what it is--but there's got to be someone on this site who can clue us all in to a few things we can do to make our blouses look more RTW. I'm thinking that the facings so popular in these patterns might have something to do with it--I don't see that technique in my store-bought shirts. I've been thinking about doing self-fabric facings. Also, I saw an item in threads about better ways to get the points of the collars nice and tidy and sharp, and I think that might help. If anyone else can tell me a few more things to try, I'd love it!
sew2little said... (10/3/11 9:36 PM) Reply
Very cute. What is it about blouses? I have a hard time getting them to not look homemade. Congratulations on your doing so!
lynne1nor said... (10/2/11 11:43 PM) Reply
Lovely blouse! Nice job and love the fabric!
andread said... (10/2/11 2:17 PM) Reply
Thank you, all! And yes-- SAS on Indian School. I have also found goodies at the Tempe location, but not so much the (unaffiliated) 19th Ave. location.
JillyBe said... (10/2/11 12:46 PM) Reply
Thanks for bringing this pattern to my attention - I like the clean neckline :) Your fabric choice looks fun! Nice job :)
frame said... (10/2/11 11:34 AM) Reply
Your shirt looks great. Since you are in AZ, can I assume the discount fabric store is SAS? If there are others, I'd like to know about them. :)
mssewcrazy said... (10/2/11 6:48 AM) Reply
Great looking top! They didn't ask as they never dreamed it came from a home sewing machine. It is just wonderful looking.
FreyaStark said... (10/2/11 5:45 AM) Reply
A cute and distinctive shirt.
pdiddly said... (10/2/11 4:19 AM) Reply
great fabric and nice looking blouse
mary in FL said... (10/1/11 10:38 PM) Reply
I think the fabric makes the blouse, which is fabulous. I'm going to have to add this to my wish list.
Gail in Western WA said... (10/1/11 9:33 PM) Reply
Looks great! Fun print. I have looked at this pattern a few times thinking how adaptable it could be; thanks for the info about that.
mm said... (10/1/11 7:58 PM) Reply
Nice shirt. I love your fabric and buttons. You look good in it.
Christas said... (10/1/11 5:29 PM) Reply