Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
Butterick: 6256 (Retro Jacket & Skirt (1947)) - Type:Suits / Separates    printable version
Viewed 259 times 1 more reviews
Reviewed by:Emily I.
About Emily I.
Member since: 12/18/09

Posted on:10/30/11 5:53 PM

thumbsup Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Karen Easter said...
Emily, your suit looks lovely! I can't get the photo to enlarge, but it looks very nice in the thumbnail. I often need to enlarge the upper arm area. There's at least one way to do it after the garment is all made up if you decide you want to: add a gusset. I'm just looking on the Threads website for tutorials... the two I've found describe the process, but the illustrations aren't that great. Here's a general article on working with vintage patterns... scroll down a bit for the information on gussets: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4669/working-with-vintage-patterns -- This describes cutting into a kimono sleeve to add the gusset, but with a set-in sleeve you'd just need to open seams. Here's another one: http://www.taunton.com/threads/pdf/tootightgarment.pdf My son is a bagpiper who needs to be able to lift his arms easily, so I've put gussets into his kilt jackets. The way I've figured out the right shape and size is to open the top sections of the sleeve and jacket side seam. I put some muslin under the opening and have him move his arms the way he wants. I draw the opening shape on the muslin, smooth out the lines of the shape, add seam allowances, and then use it as a pattern. His gussets usually turn out to be sort of football shaped.
10/30/11 7:08 PM
Emily I. said...
Thanks Karen. Having recently read an older Threads article (already returned to the library) it occurred to me this afternoon about inserting gussets (if I can find any leftover fabric.) That would certainly be easier than remaking the whole thing. Thanks for the links & advice --- very cool that your son can play the bagpipes.
10/30/11 11:21 PM
Karen Easter said...
Gussets don't take a lot of fabric, and you can piece them if you have to -- no one's going to see that anyway! There may also be ways to harvest fabric from the finished garment, too. You may have some extra fabric in the seam allowances that you can let out a little. How deep are your hems? I've been known to steal fabric from the reverse side of the hem (where it won't show) if I don't think I'll want to let them out someday. Replace the harvested hem fabric with something else like lining fabric or silk organza. I did so much harvesting/piecing/replacing of fabric when I was making my son's formal Prince Charlie jacket to wear with his kilt. I didn't have quite enough fabric to begin with, and then I accidentally slashed one of the front pieces with my scissors! A patch wouldn't have worked, so I made a new design line on both front pieces. The jacket's kind of a Frankenstein creation, but no one else can tell.
10/31/11 0:36 AM

J Stern Designs The Hobo Bag Pattern
J Stern Designs The Hobo Bag Pattern

Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Jamie Christina Hooded Scarf Pattern (JC307HS)
Jamie Christina Hooded Scarf Pattern (JC307HS)

Price: $10.50

Megan Nielsen Briar Sweater & T-shirt Digital Pattern
Megan Nielsen Briar Sweater & T-shirt Digital Pattern

Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Class Picnic Blouse & Shorts Digital Pattern (Size 6M-4)
Oliver + S Class Picnic Blouse & Shorts Digital Pattern (Size 6M-4)

Price: $15.95

Review by Gemaki on 1/16/11
Read Review

Jalie 3026 Pattern
Jalie 3026 Pattern

Price: $12.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6105 Pattern ( Size )
McCalls 6105 Pattern ( Size  )

Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us