Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
Studio Cherie: Burlap Christmas Stocking (Burlap Christmas Stockings) - Type:Crafts    printable version
Review rated Very Helpful by 1 people

Fabric:Linen Blend  [See other projects in this fabric]
Related Links
Click on to add a link
Update (2/18/14):

I made a set of Christmas stockings for my friend's family - both parents and all 6 kids. ;) These are horribly late for Christmas 2013, but they'll be there in plenty of time for Christmas 2014, right?

I used fabric prints that corresponded to each person's interests, as well as their favorite color for the initial and piping. And I used the lowercase letters from this font. I'm really happy with how these turned out, and I hope that they like them, too!

Stocking backs

At this point, I'm thinking that a set of monogrammed stockings like these would make a great wedding gift, using the couple's wedding colors if you don't know their favorite colors.

Update (12/1/12):

I made a set of Christmas stockings for my brother, his wife, and their baby daughter. I once again used the snowman appliques from McCall's Quick Quilts, but the basic pattern is from Studio Cherie. And this time, I made homemade piping to match the cuffs and snowman accessories. (Note: do NOT use kitchen cotton yarn as filler for your homemade piping - mine looks like flat piping, which is okay but not what I was going for.) I'm really happy with how these turned out, and I hope that they will love them, too! Great Christmas gift!

Purple

Blue

Green

Original review photo

Original review (12/12):

**Full disclosure: I got a free copy of this pattern as a prize for completing an entry in the Think Pink contest sponsored by Studio Cherie.**

Pattern Description:

From the designer's etsy listing: Simply the best, most thorough pattern for making burlap stockings. If you want to make heirloom quality stockings, this pattern will walk you through it.

This listing is for the sewing pattern I used to make these. In the sewing pattern I show you how I work with burlap and appliques to make sturdy, fully lined, professional looking stockings. These are burlap on the front, feature fabric on the back. The way I do the underlining, interfacing and the quiting on these gives them a very professional look and feel. It is a very easy project in which you are likely to learn some new techniques that you can apply to other projects in the future, including how to work with piping.

Use this new sewing pattern to help you make over your own mantle this year with coordinating Christmas Stockings for the whole family. Cottage licensing included for those of you who would like to make stockings for sale.

Pattern Sizing:

One size : Finished Stockings are 16" long and 8" wide at the opening.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes, except that I decided not to use burlap! ;)

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yes, the instructions were very well-written, and the pictures that accompany them are good. I found it very easy to put these stockings together. The part that took the longest and was most difficult was the applique, and that's because I didn't choose extremely simple appliques for most of mine.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I wanted a pattern for a good-sized but basic stocking - i.e., no fancy shapes. I wanted it to be fully lined. This pattern totally fit the bill. You can get as fancy with embellishments as you like, or you can let the fabric shine through. I also liked the idea of using burlap, for a more old-fashioned, possibly rustic stocking. But in the end, I decided to go with something more washable.

Fabric Used:

The pattern calls for burlap underlined with a matching broadcloth for the front, the same broadcloth for the lining, and then a fashion fabric for the cuffs and back. Because I wanted these stockings to be easily washable, I chose a linen blend for the front, muslin for the lining, and the fashion fabric for the back and cuffs. The red scarf snowman and penguin stockings have a Christmas flannel as the fashion fabric; the other two are regular cotton wovens.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Like I said, I used a linen blend instead of burlap, and that meant I didn't have to underline with broadcloth. And I went with a muslin instead of broadcloth for the lining.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I just finished four stockings, and I'm very pleased. I may sew this again shortly if I make stockings for the pets (I'll shrink them down a bit if I do), and I'm thinking that some of these will make excellent gifts next year. I would definitely recommend this pattern. I was very pleased.

Conclusion:

Sure, you could easily draw a stocking shape on paper and make your own pattern, but if you don't want to think too hard about it, just buy this pattern. Well written, easy to follow, and the results look great. I took my snowmen stockings up to show my DH before I had even finished putting them together (wanted his opinion on the beads I added to the faces), and he didn't realize they weren't finished and asked why I bought new stockings. Even after I pointed out that I had made them and they weren't finished, he couldn't believe that I hadn't bought them. (And he is normally quite blunt, so he wasn't just paying a nice compliment.) I just love how well these have turned out.

Snowmen

Penguin

International ornaments
thumbsup Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Judy Kski said...
Such cute stockings! They really turned out nice. I think your decision to forgo burlap was a prudent one. Much easier upkeep this way. Where did you get the international ornament fabric?
12/7/11 11:30 PM
khurtdvm said...
I found all the fabrics at Joann Fabrics. I really like the international ornaments one - when I first saw it, I was wracking my brain to come up with a reason to buy it. ;)
12/7/11 11:52 PM
StudioCherie said...
Thanks for the lovely review. I love the interaction with your DH. Those moments are precious, when it looks so professional that our loved ones don't believe we made it. Congratulations!
1/31/12 2:15 AM
jannw said...
Those are so cute!! What a nice present for the family!
12/1/12 4:30 PM

Sis Boom Maddie Top and Dress Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Maddie Top and Dress Digital Pattern

Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Bubble Shorts Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )
Peek-A Boo Bubble Shorts Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )

Price: $7.95

Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern
Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern

Price: $9.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6277 Pattern ( Size 1/2-1-2-3-4 )
New Look 6277 Pattern ( Size 1/2-1-2-3-4 )

Price: $3.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1767 Pattern ( Size XS-S-M-L )
Simplicity 1767 Pattern ( Size XS-S-M-L )

Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us