Online Sewing Class: The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8710 (misses top)

Review submitted in 2012 Fabric Stash Contest Contest
Reviewed by:lesliez

About lesliezstar
OR USA
Member since: 2/12/06
Posted on:1/7/12 2:49 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 3 people

Frozzy said... (1/17/12 2:40 PM) Reply
When I look at the picture, the sleeves and the bottom of the top are the same length, and I think the eye follows that unbroken horizontal line of the sleeves AND the top accross. If you either shortened the top or shortened the sleeve to 3/4 length, maybe that would help break that up. Otherwise it is really cute, so it would be worth trying to save! Great review, by the way.
lesliez said... (1/7/12 2:29 PM) Reply
Thanks, everyone for the comments and tips. marec, I wondered if shortening it might make a difference. I'll give that a try to see if I like it any better. Rhey, that's an interesting insight about the stripes. I'll keep that in mind in the future.
SewWil said... (1/7/12 1:52 PM) Reply
From the picture your top looks great on you. Maybe you need to put it away for a little while and try it on at a later date. If you still feel strongly about then you will have a stylish pajama.
carolynw said... (1/7/12 12:55 PM) Reply
When I saw the photo I thought "just like the pattern" - and I think it looks lovely on you but you are the wearer and if you don't feel comfortable in it then it will have to be a PJ top - maybe you should reconsider?
marec said... (1/7/12 11:06 AM) Reply
It looks great on you, especially paired with your hair and wonderful earrings. How about if you shorten it by an inch? I like it very much on you and I am not just being "nice". I have this pattern and have not made it up for the very reasons you stated. I just do not see those concerns with your picture. :-)
Rhey said... (1/7/12 3:10 AM) Reply
I think it looks great, wear it with a smile and that's all people will see. This comes too late to help you but might help someone else, I've found that very narrow stripes draw the eye the opposite of what you would expect, so verticals emphasize width instead of height which can cause an unflattering illusion where it shouldn't.

by: Jstarr4250