|Pattern Description: |
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes. I used the regular sleeve, stand collar, and shorter jacket.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
There were several options and the pattern allowed opportunity for creativity in the details.
I purchased the fabric about 6-7 years ago, perhaps from Sawyer Brook. It's a wonderfully thick and soft and kept me nice and warm while I was doing the had sewing on the couch in front of the TV. I think it is a wool/cashmere blend. Lined with black flannel backed lining from Sawyer Brook.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made a muslin and found the sizing to be a bit tight. My measurements are more like a 14 but I always sew size 12 and that always works. However, for an outer garment, I didn't feel as if there was enough ease. I added an inch in diameter and lowered the armhole by 1/2". Given the thickness of the fabric, I could have made the arm scye a bit bigger in order to allow for a suit jacket or sweater underneath.
I also added an additional button, as I don't like holding my coat closed over my thighs when it's windy!
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I am just finishing another coat using the pleated sleeves and different detailing. Will post those photos soon.
I finally decided to take the time to make myself a coat. After years of unsuccessful searching for something that filled this impossible criteria: No hood, Not black, Not double-breasted, Unique, Stylish, Unique, and Warm.
After agonizing over what kind of special touches to incorporate, I decided to use piping and topstitching as accents. Cording rows are inserted under the front placket, collar, and waist band. I used organza as a backing to hold the cording in place and stitched the layers together. I did not quite achieve the 3D effect I was going for, and this would have worked better if I had done the basting on the front, pushing the coat fabric up over the cording. However, that would have required cutting the waist band, etc., wider. (You can see this by zooming in on the project photo.)
The topstitching was done using embroidery thread in the bobbin, and I did a blanket stitch by hand around the sleeve and pocket tabs.
I'm not exactly happy with the buttonholes. Given the thickness of the fabric, machine buttonholes were not an option. I really wanted to bind the holes by hand using the embroidery thread, but found that I did not have the needle skills to do so and it just looked messy. I ended up just doing a small blanket stitch to cover the raw edges. The buttonholes look a little naked, though.