Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1208 (Misses' /Misses' Petite Dress)

Reviewed by:Skittl1321

About Skittl1321star
Member since: 9/9/07
Posted on:4/10/12 10:09 AM
Last Updated:4/10/12 11:11 AM
Pattern Size:Regular Petite
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
Fictionfan said... (5/20/12 0:14 AM) Reply
Nice dress! The vertical wrinkles mean that you have too much width at that level. I think you could take in the back side seams only, not at the front, at the waist level to give it more shaping. In a non-bias cut dress, those wrinkles could be converted to waist darts for the shaping that you need. I agree that you should start with a smaller size. The neck and back waist are too big, but rest of it looks like it fits well. Great review!
SewWil said... (4/10/12 8:37 PM) Reply
You have a beautiful dress to show for your efforts. Great job!!!
Skittl1321 said... (4/10/12 5:35 PM) Reply
Yes- I did let it hang 24 hours before hemming! I didn't at first, but that hem was SO bad- over an inch difference from left to right side. I have no idea how I managed to do that, so I cut it off (too difficult to rip out and not distort the fabric). I had done a full rolled hem, but when I realized I didn't have enough fabric, after letting it hang, I rehemmed with just a fold over. Thanks for the information on understitch. Vogues definition was very vague.
ggf2005 said... (4/10/12 5:06 PM) Reply
Cutting the dress on the bias eliminates the need for darts or seamlines that make the flat fabric adhere to the beautiful curves that our bodies make. Follow this link to an excellent article about how grainlines work. I also hope that you let your dress hang for 24 hours before you hemmed it because the fibers in bias cut garments are always shifting and it could stretch even more. Your cheater hem was the best way to go...I made a similar Tom and Linda Platt dress and used a rolled hem. Understitching is also referred to as stitching in the ditch. Basically what you will be doing is sewing a line of stitching parallel to the seam where the facing/lining attaches to the garment as close to the seam as possible through all layers of the facing/lining and the seam allowance. This will give the inside edge just a bit more of weight which will help keep the facing/lining inside the garment. I don't trim my seams until after I have "stitched in the ditch". Then I trim as much of the seam allowance away as possible without cutting through my "stitch in the ditch", this makes curved seams lie very flat. I hope this helps....happy sewing.
lakaribane said... (4/10/12 4:26 PM) Reply
Great review and I too love the styling of this dress. RE: understitching, it's topstitching the facing to the combined seam allowances of the neckline seam. I'll try to find you a photo tutorial. BRB
Skittl1321 said... (4/10/12 3:53 PM) Reply
So if it isn't swayback causing the extra fabric- how would I get rid of that? Do I just need to narrow out the pattern piece in the upper torso?
TJSEWS said... (4/10/12 3:43 PM) Reply
This dress is really cute on you. Yes, I have used a walking foot with slippery fabrics with good results as well. I agree with MNBarb that you do not need a swayback adjustment with this dress.
Skittl1321 said... (4/10/12 3:34 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the kind comments. And especially for the video- it appears understitching is kind of like topstitching? I think that this is something I can still do at this point, so I will do that to finish the look of the dress. (I should also clarify that when I say "easy and great for beginners" as my rating, I mean that it was easy enough to come up with a finished product. Since I didn't understand all the techniques, and just made do, that may not be good for a beginner who is a perfectionist!)
CTBarb said... (4/10/12 3:28 PM) Reply
Congratulations on a lovely dress. You used a lot of great problem solving skills here...and isn't that what sewing is all about! No garment ever turns out eaxactly as the instructions are written.
MissLadyAudrey said... (4/10/12 3:13 PM) Reply
Great Job!
rmusic1 said... (4/10/12 1:39 PM) Reply
I think it looks really cute. Well done for attempting to sew a slippery fabric, I might need to invest in a walking foot myself.
VirginiasDghter said... (4/10/12 11:27 AM) Reply
Such a cute little black dress. Your efforts really paid off. Such a thorough review, very helpful!!
MNBarb said... (4/10/12 11:04 AM) Reply
This was a good review. Do any of us look like those Vogue models? You seem to have learned lots in making this dress. Understitching will be your new best friend. It works great on waistbands, necklines or anything where you don't want the lining or facing showing on the outside. You don't have swayback with this dress. Swayback gives you extra fabric on the horizontal, yours is vertical. Have fun dancing in your new dress!
Understanding Interfacings