Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 3246-1000 (leather shoulder bag)

Reviewed by:els

Posted on:12/2/04 2:50 PM
Last Updated:12/2/04 4:36 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
ShannonO said... (1/27/09 9:31 PM) Reply
that is a great bag!! I am just getting into bags/purses, and I am not a fan of the patterns I have seen, so I like the fact that you just created your own. Plus, changing the grain/pattern of the leather definitely adds to the overall style.
Sew it seams said... (1/27/05 12:36 PM) Reply
Wow! That is an incredibly impressive piece of work! I LOVE that bag!
Danvillegirl said... (12/4/04 7:38 AM) Reply
Wow, really like the handbag. I have never sewn with leather either. Very nice first try project with leather. Can you share sources for the hansel?
Snowblossom said... (12/3/04 6:32 PM) Reply
What a fantastic bag, its gorgeous and so professional.
Deepika said... (12/3/04 5:28 PM) Reply
This is unbelievable Els. What a great bag.
Maychi said... (12/3/04 4:48 PM) Reply
Great bag. I love it! Very impressive!
SouthernStitch said... (12/3/04 3:33 PM) Reply
Your bag looks great - very, very professional.
els said... (12/3/04 3:04 PM) Reply
Katharine I used a teflon foot to sew the leather.A normal sewing foot did not worked in transporting the leather.
Asa Hagstrom said... (12/3/04 12:59 PM) Reply
Els, you bag is amazing. Good to see that you get time to sew for yourself once in a while! Thanks for all the different pictures and information.
SandraB said... (12/3/04 10:34 AM) Reply
Wow!! What a gorgeous bag. It looks beautifully sewn. I am so impressed that you did this.
SewTabby said... (12/3/04 10:17 AM) Reply
Wow els!! Your bag is wonderful! It looks great, but also looks like it's very practical, too. Beautiful!
Katharine in BXL said... (12/3/04 9:00 AM) Reply
Beautiful work, Els! Did you need a different presser foot to sew leather? (Oh and BTW, I'm so excited to see your pattern reviews/work too. :)
PhyllisC said... (12/3/04 8:34 AM) Reply
Love it! Very 70's.
AnneM said... (12/3/04 6:34 AM) Reply
What a great bag! Thanks for sharing the ideas & information you used.
els said... (12/3/04 3:37 AM) Reply
Hello ladies, thank you all for the enthusiastic comments on my shoulder bag. I had no idea that reviewing a self drafted pattern would receive so many comments because I thought it was not interesting enough because there is no pattern involved, Linda E talked me into reviewing a self drafted item so thanks Linda E . It was a fun project but a tough one because without directions it is much harder to do than any garment I made in the last years. The reason is that sewing with leather you have to follow other sewing directions because the leather demands a different attitude.Thanks to my friend and colleague Neeltje who gave me some inside tips on how to handle and sew leather. I hope I win the lottery sometime so I can purchase a sturdy Juki sewing machine which will sew leather as easy as sewing fabric on my Pfaff. Ann and Georgene thanks for the Goatskin and suede tip. Cornelia, there are some wayward stitches but not that many.
valerie sews said... (12/3/04 2:28 AM) Reply
A trully professional looking bag. I'm amazed at your work.
ChrisK said... (12/3/04 1:31 AM) Reply
I join the others in showering you with praise - that is a wonderful bag.
mClones said... (12/2/04 7:27 PM) Reply
Great looking bags els. FYI: when I cut leather for shoes I make the pattern out of file folder weight cardboard/paper, simply lay it on the leather and trace around with a pencil or pen. Also, if you need to temporarily hold two pieces of leather together, you can use rubber cement as a basting medium.
Annika said... (12/2/04 7:14 PM) Reply
Another stunning bag! I love the "almost ostrich" leather look - and the way you mixed up the grain of the leather - fantastic!
joan said... (12/2/04 7:04 PM) Reply
Els, Another great leather bag! When I get ready to sew a leather bag, I will certainly use your reviews for reference. I admire your work so much-keep it up!
Georgene said... (12/2/04 6:37 PM) Reply
Thanks for the info on materials you used for the bag, very helpful! Goatskin and suede are much more sew-able, but not as sturdy as this bag looks.
Leslie in Austin said... (12/2/04 6:34 PM) Reply
Els, you are amazing. That bag is a masterpiece.
Linda E. said... (12/2/04 6:31 PM) Reply
wow - that is a great bag. You do such beautiful work. Thanks for writting the review it is a good review..
Cornelia said... (12/2/04 6:18 PM) Reply
I'm speechless! If there's one wayward stitch anywhere, it's well hidden. Beautiful job.
MaryBeth said... (12/2/04 6:13 PM) Reply
This is one great bag, els! Thanks for doing the review.
Maria Hatfield said... (12/2/04 5:40 PM) Reply
Very good Els, Very good ! I like !!
GorgeousFabrics said... (12/2/04 5:22 PM) Reply
Els, this is such a great bag! If you get a chance to work with it, try goatskin. It tends to be a firmer leather, but it is light enough to sew through. I have some hides that I have worked with that have been a pleasure to sew with. -Ann
ConnieBJ said... (12/2/04 5:20 PM) Reply
So impressive Els, and sounds like a lot of work! I love it.
LisaLS said... (12/2/04 5:14 PM) Reply
That's such a nice bag! I love all the pockets it has.
SueV said... (12/2/04 5:12 PM) Reply
Wow - great job - Impressive!!! Wow!!

Other Gertie's Keyhole Blouse