Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8795 (Marcy Tilton Jacket)

Reviewed by:Sew4Fun

About Sew4Funstarstarstarstar
AUSTRALIA
Member since: 6/23/04
Posted on:6/12/12 11:00 PM

See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Mahogany Stylist said... (1/16/13 6:06 PM) Reply
Outstanding! Excellent review.
JillyBe said... (6/21/12 5:59 AM) Reply
Your jacket is gorgeous! Excellent review too; I'll be referring to it when I make up my version; thank you :)
JillyBe said... (6/21/12 5:59 AM) Reply
Gendun said... (6/20/12 12:05 PM) Reply
Truly gorgeous! Thanks for the informative, detailed review and for the inspiration! :)
Raye Ann said... (6/13/12 11:41 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for the pattern comparison photos of your alterations. While I probably won't tackle this jacket, I am finally learning that the reason I have made so many unflattering garments is due to poor fit( too large) in the shoulders, neck, and sleeves. I have started to make alterations and it is great to see your examples reiterating my instincts! I consider you as much of an authority as any reference book.
Elke said... (6/13/12 10:30 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket and it looks very stylish on you! Your photos are very helpful. Thanks for a great review!
Sew4Fun said... (6/13/12 8:12 PM) Reply
Clareew, the burrito method is a method I've seen both in David Coffin's Shirtmaking book and Sandra Betzina's Power Sewing book. The method involves rolling the garment inside the collar, like a burrito, helping to reduce the bulk at the front edge of the collar. Hard to explain but it gives professional results. HTH
Knitz said... (6/13/12 7:25 PM) Reply
Adding my voice to the chorus -- it may have been a lot of extra adaptation, but it looks great on you!
GoodbyeValntino said... (6/13/12 6:28 PM) Reply
Oh wow! I can't wait to read your blog post on the jacket!
Rhoda K said... (6/13/12 5:21 PM) Reply
As always, a beautiful jacket and informative review. Also, ditto what everyone else said ;-)
Clareew said... (6/13/12 3:58 PM) Reply
Brilliant review. Great timing for me, I have this on my next to be done pile. Thank you for your tips and ideas, what is the buttito method please?
LynnG said... (6/13/12 2:10 PM) Reply
Great looking jacket!
JaniceCB said... (6/13/12 1:37 PM) Reply
Thanks so very much for this excellent review! I will making this soon and will certainly use your alterations.
hme75 said... (6/13/12 1:14 PM) Reply
What a beautiful jacket. Your changes make it perfect!
barbcl said... (6/13/12 11:21 AM) Reply
A gorgeous jacket, and your changes make the difference.
Carol Mendoza said... (6/13/12 11:06 AM) Reply
That is a great looking jacket. Worth all the changes you had to make!
LynnRowe said... (6/13/12 10:23 AM) Reply
Terrific re-design of the pattern! (Wish Vogue would hire you and others like yourself, and kick the current pattern drafters to the curb!) LOVE your jacket!
marec said... (6/13/12 10:18 AM) Reply
This is so lovely! The changes you made to get the fit you desired are so smart-and the jacket in boiled wool is very professional looking. As an aside, I am impressed that the first two reviews of this pattern resulted in 2 very different styles. Your jacket is really superb!
SewWil said... (6/13/12 9:49 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket! Great job on the fitting. I love your changes.
Bobbi A said... (6/13/12 9:32 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks absolutely beautiful. I really appreciate your review and notes of all the alterations you made, since I have another of Marci Tilton's jacket patterns in my stash. This will give me confidence and a jumping-off point for my own project. Thank you!
KensingtonCrab said... (6/13/12 9:20 AM) Reply
That is a beautiful jacket and I love the closure!
KBT Sewer said... (6/13/12 8:49 AM) Reply
Thanks for a wonderful review. I agree with your comments about Marci Tilton's designs--they are very shapeless and not particularly flattering--well, not on me. I'd looked at this pattern, then decided not to buy it, but your review has sparked my interest again. You've certainly made a wonderful jacket, far nicer than the original.
marthamyers said... (6/13/12 8:45 AM) Reply
Great jacket and very informative review. Your result looks wonderful.
Kathy7661 said... (6/13/12 8:43 AM) Reply
Nicely done! The fit is perfect and the jacket looks great on you! Thanks for the review.
Lori V said... (6/13/12 8:21 AM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket with amazing trim. Your changes made a world of difference in the jacket's fitting outcome. Great job.
Rebecca D said... (6/13/12 6:39 AM) Reply
Thanks for such a thorough review. Your jacket turned out beautifully and I appreciate all your notes on the sizing.
Anne Cherry said... (6/13/12 6:22 AM) Reply
Beautiful work! Thanks for all the details re: how you made this pattern work for you!
pdiddly said... (6/13/12 5:13 AM) Reply
love it
Skye said... (6/13/12 4:20 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket
KaSchu said... (6/13/12 3:28 AM) Reply
I have never cared for Marcy Tilton's designs and would never have been tempted by the original pattern. Your alterations have made a beautiful jacket and one that I would love to make. Thank you for your great review.
Sharonspils said... (6/13/12 3:17 AM) Reply
Stunning jacket and your fitting alterations make it a very smart jacket that has some wonderful lines.
Lilibet said... (6/13/12 2:57 AM) Reply
Fabulous result. Your comments are very helpful as this is next on my sewing list.
Vonnevo said... (6/13/12 1:43 AM) Reply
Fabulous jacket !!! I am guessing the jacket would be much warmer with a closer fit too. Thanks for your great review Belinda :)
velosewer said... (6/13/12 0:14 AM) Reply
Yay. You conquered this pattern. Nice jacket.
Fictionfan said... (6/12/12 11:35 PM) Reply
You've articulated exactly what it is that I don't like about Marci Tilton's designs. If you are stick thin and need all that looseness and bulk to have some shape (like those mannequins her designs are always displayed on), the patterns will probably fit right out of the package. Your jacket is how I'd want mine to fit. It is perfect! If I take the plunge and try one of her patterns, I will definitely refer to your review. Thanks for doing all the work of fitting it for me and for all the details! Great review!!
QuiltSewSewSue said... (6/12/12 11:30 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket!
Jrhee said... (6/12/12 11:11 PM) Reply
This is gorgeous as you've sewn it! Your fitting alterations make all the difference.
Dilliander said... (6/12/12 11:06 PM) Reply
Absolutely fantastic! Thanks for the tips and details about your pattern alterations. Well worth it as the end result is just magic :)

Grainline Studio Hemlock Tee