|Butterick: 5624 (infants dress, jumper, romper, jumpsuit, panties, pants, hat) - Type:Baby clothes |
|Viewed 224 times
||1 more reviews|
Review rated Very Helpful
by 3 people
|Reviewed by:||Alison Cummins|
|About Alison Cummins |
|Member since: 9/1/02 |
|Reviews written: 7|
|Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner|
|Favored by: 1 people|
|patterns reviewed: 7|
|Posted on:||6/20/12 7:14 PM |
|Last Updated:||10/7/13 8:50 PM|
Butterick Pattern Info
|Pattern Rating:||Recommend, with Modifications |
|See other patterns in this category: Baby clothes |
|Available for sale on PR: $13.95 (See envelope) |
|Fabric:||Cotton - Quilting [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: |
“INFANTS' DRESS, JUMPER, ROMPER, JUMPSUIT, PANTIES, PANTS, HAT AND BAG: Dress A, jumper B, romper C, jumpsuit D have fitted bodice, raised waist, back button closing. A, B: drindl skirt, pockets and stitched hem. C, D: loose-fitting shorts or pants, snap crotch, short sleeves. Pants E or panties F have elastic waist and legs. E: no side seams. Self-lined hat has crown, brim and pleated tie. Self-lined bag has straps.”
I made the sleeveless dress (the “jumper”) and the hat.
Hat and sleeveless dress — front and back
NB-M and L-XL. I made dresses in L and XL. It’s hard to say what the sizes are supposed to be, but I have the feeling they are a bit oversized.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I thought the ties on the hat in the photo looked longer than the ties on the hats I made, but otherwise yes.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
The dress instructions are to finish outside seams with bias tape, but I lined it and bagged the lining.
I made a couple of hats following the instructions and was unhappy with problems aligning seams. I asked a milliner friend and she gave me alternate, more useful instructions.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the idea of a hat that has ties to make it adjustable, but the ties are just decorative. They don’t really make it adjustable.
I liked the simple lines of the dress and the fact that it has pockets. It reminds me of the classic baby dresses that my granny made me back in the sixties. I loved the row of buttons down the back.
I didn’t like the bias binding finish or the lack of decoration, so I lined the bodice and pockets, piping the neck and sleeves and showing the lining on the pockets.
Quilting cotton for the main fabric and some much lighter-weight cotton fabric for the piping and lining.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I wanted the dress to be comfortable, pretty and easy to wear and care for, so I decided to line the bodice in a contrast fabric instead of using bias binding. I looked up the method for bagging the lining of a vest, treating the skirt of the dress the same way I would treat a small ruffle on a vest. I think I used a Sandra Betzina reference, but if you search on “how to bag a vest” any explanation of the method will probably work as well.
I wanted to pipe the edges for decoration and to keep the edges soft, so I cut away 1/8 of an inch on the pattern from the neckline and sleeves so that the added piping wouldn’t make it too tight. I made my own piping from bias strips of lining and some thin yarn and hand-basted it in place before sewing the seams. By hand-basting I could be sure that the piping wasn’t stretched around the curves and stayed soft and even.
I lined the pockets as well. I cut the pockets 1/4 inch shorter than the pattern piece and the lining 1/4 inch longer than the pattern piece. I sewed the pieces together at the top edge of the pocket to make a sort of long oval. I folded the “long oval” right sides together and stitched the open sides together leaving about 3/4 of an inch open to turn the pocket through. This made a strip of lining fabric 1/4 inch wide along the top of the pocket.
The instructions have you make the hat, make the hat lining, put everything wrong sides together and topstitch through all layers from the outside to attach them. I kept having to unpick the stitching and start again. Fussy with bad results.
After consultation with my friend the milliner I left a short length of seam open in the lining and sewed the hat and the lining right sides together. Because the brim and the ties are inside it makes for a somewhat bulky package, but it’s easy to handle. Then I turned the hat through the open seam and then closed that bit from the outside with the sewing machine. Once all the layers were properly assembled it was easy to run a line of topstitching around to finish it neatly.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I might sew the sleeveless dress again for a child who wasn’t yet walking, but I would probably make the skirt a little less full and possibly shorter. This isn’t a fancy dress, it’s a classic everyday dress. It could be made up in old shirting or sheets, or in a luxe batik.
For a child who has started to walk I’d probably make something like the Oliver + S Seashore Sundress instead. That one has more seams, but because of the style and fit it doesn’t need piping around the neck and armholes to decorate it or keep it from chafing.
The hat is cute but hasn’t gotten much wear from the recipient. The dress is a classic and I might make it again, but it’s not special.
Still, the child wearing it is a real cutie!
|Buy this pattern for $13.95 Add to Bag |