Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> V1208 (Pullover Dress)

Reviewed by:tracyH2

More Info provided by tracyH2

Pattern Rating:Great Wardrobe Builder
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Satin  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: fitted, above mid knee, pullover, lined dress, bias cut, has gathered forward shoulder at left side with box and knot. Right side has drop shoulder.

Pattern Sizing: Misses/petite 14 to 20

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes but pattern rather than plain colour and larger size than model in pic gave it a different look

Were the instructions easy to follow? yes but limited as did not give any guidance regarding using or cutting bias fabric or any guidance regarding seam finishes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Only 2 pieces for dress and 2 for bow, quick to make. The instructions for adding the lining were ok and for the hem finish where good. Although I had a little difficult in trying to mark a straight hem due to the bias cut. I would have liked some guidance re using bias cut fabric and seams finishes. Instructions did not mention leaving the garment to hang overnight before trying to hem it (as many manuals advise).

Fabric Used: Was not sure how successful this would be so for first attempt opted for a very reasonable priced polyester satin in a bold print as its Summer. The lining was Bremsilk (which cost nearly double the price of the outer fabric - but its worth it).

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Only those neccesary to fit my shape better i.e. shorten length and widened side seams through waist and tummy.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes but would properly use a draper fabric.

Conclusion: I made this to wear as a guest at a summer wedding to see me through from the day to the evening do and with a view to wearing it on other occasions, which I am sure I will. It looks better on than on my dolly (sorry I'm not a great at taking pics) and feels great.

I did think twice about buying this pattern as its in Vogue's designer range and seemed very expensive for a two piece pattern dress but I had never made a bias cut dress before and the dress was lined so I thought I could learn a few new things and I also got the pattern with half price discount. I now know where I was going wrong when I've added a lining to other dresses which did not include a lining in the pattern but I do not think it is worth paying the full price.

The pattern is easy to follow and quick to make but I would not say it was for complete beginners given the bias cut and the limited instruction.
I made the bag entered into the August Handbag challenge to go with this dress.

Seeing the handbag challenge on this site encouraged me to have a go and make a bag to complete the outfit and I have posted a review on that aslo.
nicegirl said...
Looks like a lovely dress for summer! I like your print.
8/9/12 3:15 PM
grays08 said...
Great job and nice fabric - great colors!
8/11/12 11:37 AM