Pattern Reviews> StyleArc> Pleated Pia Top (Pleated Pia Top)

Reviewed by:LynnRowe

About LynnRowestarstarstar
Member since: 3/9/09
Posted on:8/12/12 3:17 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 15 people
marymary86 said... (8/29/13 1:56 PM) Reply
I especially appreciated your comments about the front width and how the fit is spot on.
sewpelican said... (10/31/12 2:10 AM) Reply
Lovely sewing on another lovely top.Very interested on your fabric comments. i have just bought some Italian very soft cotton, just washed it and seems to be soft w good drape. Also bought mercerised Italian cotton with seemingly similar softness and drape. Will let you know how it makes up. But I need to get that SA pattern, been on my wish list for a while.
LynnRowe said... (10/28/12 2:03 PM) Reply
Sorry for the delay responding; I walk the neck binding along the neck, stretching the binding more along the front upper chest and less elsewhere, to determine the length I need and then cut the band to that length. No actual ratio done. In general, I like my binding to be 2-3" shorter than the length of the neckline. A snappy-recovery knit may need to be only 2" shorter while a soft-recovery knit may need to be cut down more. HTH!
landstromd said... (9/4/12 10:18 PM) Reply
Wow, rain and water for sure! I love the fabric, whatever its composition! One question, what ratio did you use for the neck band, you said you cut off 3 inches that seems like quite a lot. Thanks for any insight as I've ordered this patter and can't wait to start right away! thanks again, d
Lynmarie said... (8/20/12 8:37 AM) Reply
Thanks for the idea of using the pattern with pleats or gathers as an alternative style
clotheshorse said... (8/19/12 8:43 PM) Reply
Love it! It's a great pairing of fabric and pattern.
meggy said... (8/13/12 10:59 PM) Reply
Love it, and the fabric!
LynnRowe said... (8/13/12 8:09 PM) Reply
AuntieShel, I do the burn test, but could tell just looking at the online photo of the fabric swatch that is was cotton, not rayon, due to the stiffer drape. With the burn test, cotton has an afterglow; rayon doesn't. Rayon will keep burning after you remove the flame. If you unravel and untwist a few threads of the fabric, rayon is made up of long filaments, cotton is short fuzzies. A drop of water on rayon is almost immediately absorbed; on cotton the water will sit as a bead for a moment. If you use a bit of known cotton and known rayon and burn them, then burn your Suspect, it will be easier to see which known the Suspect is. HTH!
Cynthia2 said... (8/13/12 7:29 PM) Reply
Beautiful. I love the fabric and the top looks great. I've not tried Style Arc, but you've inspired me to do so.
AuntieShel said... (8/13/12 1:41 PM) Reply
I love your top and thank you for reviewing. Have not tried the Style Arc patterns yet, though I am tempted by the great designs and good reviews. Am curious in the defining factor to your conclusion that your fabric is cotton, not rayon, as I have not been able to tell the difference between the two in a burn test. Is there a better way to tell? Also, would love to know the source of your fabric as I absolutely love it and would love to get some if any is still available. It is so my style. Thank you for your help.
Karine said... (8/13/12 10:10 AM) Reply
I love this top! I've looked at the pattern before, but your version has inspired me. Can't wait to see your pleated version.
ArtAttack said... (8/13/12 1:33 AM) Reply
Adorable! Love the fabric and the gathers rather than pleats.
Steffie said... (8/12/12 5:23 PM) Reply
Great top - love the fabric choice.
Steffie said... (8/12/12 5:21 PM) Reply
Great top - love the fabric choice.
LynnRowe said... (8/12/12 1:51 PM) Reply
Thanks all! Diane, I adore both Jalie and SA! In comparison with this pattern style, Jalie has the far better instructions (and multi sizes); SA has more "essence of waist" shaping, the back is more fitted, and I prefer the SA upper chest/shoulder drafting. SA is narrower in the upper chest and has a shorter shoulder length, so the seams sit right before the ball of the shoulder, as in RTW. The sleeve cap is higher to fit over the ball of the shoulder. This allows more arm movement without the entire top moving. I couldn't choose between them, though...I really do love both company's patterns!
diane s said... (8/12/12 1:39 PM) Reply
thanks for the great review, I totally agree about the neckband. Was wondering how this compared to the similar Jalie pattern.
Judy Kski said... (8/12/12 10:31 AM) Reply
Your top turned out really nice. Thanks for the tutorial at the end of the Knit Sew Along for Beginners. I've sewn with knits for a long time and still picked up some great hints along the way.
leenaa said... (8/12/12 7:02 AM) Reply

leenaa said... (8/12/12 7:02 AM) Reply
Very pretty fabric and nice t. I agree with you -good quality rayon/lycra -fabric is better for this kind of t-shirts! But your version is fabulous.
Dilliander said... (8/12/12 3:59 AM) Reply
I like this pattern too, its definitely a winner and your rain water top with the gathers is gorgeous. The gathers are a lovely variation.
Schnauzer said... (8/12/12 3:48 AM) Reply
Very pretty top and I love your interpretation of the fabric!

Colette Patterns Meringue

by: Roxthinks

Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

No Pattern Used 0000