Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5707 (Misses' Dress and Belt)

Reviewed by:Mahogany Stylist

About Mahogany Styliststarstarstarstar
Member since: 6/26/07
Posted on:11/6/12 7:44 PM
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Accessories

Mahogany Stylist said... (11/7/12 5:29 PM) Reply
Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts. I thought it was important to review a project that didn't necessarily turn out perfect for me. I'm going to take a break from it and sew something else. God knows I have about 20 things cut and ready to sew. When I get back to this dress, I've update the review. Thanks again. Cennetta
GoodbyeValntino said... (11/7/12 3:56 PM) Reply
I hope you are able to salvage the dress because there are many beautiful details worth saving! Your workmanship is exquisite!
ggf2005 said... (11/7/12 3:39 PM) Reply
This is a beautiful dress;however, I totally understand where you are coming from. I agree that your fabric is just too crisp for the bodice of the dress.
carolynw said... (11/7/12 1:13 PM) Reply
Thanks for sharing what you feel is a"flop" - I think most of us like me don't do this so it's good to get your opinion. That said there is a lot about this dress to like - the color and fabric are beautiful and looks quite nice on you - hang it in the re-think closet for a while and you probably will find it's really beautiful
MissCelie said... (11/7/12 12:49 PM) Reply
Nooooo!!!! The color is STUNNING on you. I feel your disappointment :(
sunnysewer said... (11/7/12 10:40 AM) Reply
I see what you mean and so frustrating. I think most of the issue is with the fabric choice. Wonder if it would be better with the short sleeves? I just bought this pattern on a whim as well. that belt is perfection.
Margaret said... (11/7/12 7:41 AM) Reply
Sorry that you do not like the result. Hope your adjustments make it work for you -- I think it's very pretty though. I've found that with a lot of vintage patterns the skirt turns out more flared/full than the drawing -- sounds like that happened with this reprint too.
regal80 said... (11/7/12 1:37 AM) Reply
great smile, great pattern and fit, great fabric choice :)
SewWil said... (11/7/12 0:53 AM) Reply
Hang in there! You are very close to making this work. The color and style are definitely right for you. I'm sure you will wind up loving this dress. It is beautiful.
cmarie12 said... (11/6/12 9:44 PM) Reply
Thanks for a thorough and honest review. I can understand how the fabric choice is making you dissatisfied with the final dress. I hope you're able to selvage it!
ArtAttack said... (11/6/12 8:58 PM) Reply
Oh, I wouldn't give up on it yet! The color is gorgeous on you and the retro style is very cool. I think with a little tweaking of the bodice you will have a total winner. I hope you end up loving it! Great review, too.
Mahogany Stylist said... (11/6/12 8:43 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for your kind words.
prostheticsgirl said... (11/6/12 8:29 PM) Reply
I only wish my "flops" were this gorgeous! Sometimes us sewing ladies have incredibly high expectations. Maybe take a little break and see what inspiration strikes for adjustments. I wasn't thrilled with the fit of my NL 6968 and after a month vacation from it, I felt inspired to do the necessary rework. Even if your dress never sees another needle, I think it is lovely!
Scheri said... (11/6/12 8:15 PM) Reply
Wow I love this pattern. But I am so glad you did your review. The fabric is beautiful your sewing is exqusite. Sorry that you do not like the finished result. But thank you so much for sharing.
Sondra Leigh said... (11/6/12 8:01 PM) Reply
I think it's stunning, and will be even moreso after you've "saved" it.
Jstarr4250 said... (11/6/12 7:54 PM) Reply
There's still a lot to love about it even if you aren't totally pleased with your result. The skirt has a beautiful fit and the fabric is lovely.

The Technique of Underlining Garments