Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|Burda: 7319 (Bubble sweater dress-3 necks ) - Type:Dresses |
|Viewed 223 times
Review rated Helpful
by 1 people Very Helpful
by 2 people
|Reviewed by:||karen n|
|About karen n |
|Member since: 11/24/08 |
|Reviews written: 31|
|Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner|
|Favored by: 7 people|
|patterns reviewed: 30|
|Posted on:||12/23/12 6:11 PM |
|Last Updated:||12/23/12 6:13 PM|
Burda Pattern Info
|Pattern Rating:||Easy & Great for Beginners |
|See other patterns in this category: Dresses |
|Fabric:||Sweater Knit [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Ok, I am not pregnant but I really liked the style of this *maternity* dress. I modified by using a different flatter skirt. Finished just in time for the upcoming food baby (aka Christmas dinner)!|
Pattern Description: Knit bubble dress, large band at hem, two collar variations (bound and turtleneck), raglan shoulders, bell sleeves with elasticized cuff.
Pattern Sizing: 8 - 18
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.
Were the instructions easy to follow? This is a very simple dress so I just glanced. I'd add: stay stitch the neckline and stay tape the top of the raglan sleeve at neckline. This dress grows otherwise!
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Easy, cute shape that camouflages the tummy, slimming, interesting sleeve shape. If you're a block shape, this is a great silhouette! Probably good for most figure types.
Disliked that I accidentally chopped off too much length and now my mini-dress is a little too short. Wish there was an "edit undo" for cutting.
Fabric Used: Trendy nordic sweater knit from JoAnn. Snagged on even the barest hint of a dry cuticle so I don't expect it to last long. Moisturize heavily or get a manicure before using this!
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
1. Scooped out upper sleeve width by 3" so it accentuated the bell sleeve shape.
2. Lowered neckline 1"
3. Biggest change: replaced the lower dress from armpit to hem band with my TNT knit shift dress Simplicity 2054 (Cynthia Rowley with detachable cowl). So I have one slimmer piece instead of the two pieces with the lower piece gathered under bust. Gathers would make me look preggy.
4. I've re-used that detachable cowl concept from the Cynthia Rowley dress over and over again. Couldn't decide on which neckline so I bound it and made a detachable slim cowl which can be worn long or around neck like a scarf.
5. Lower hem band is a little tighter than I'd like since I ran out of fabric.
6. Lined everything except sleeves. My serger almost gave up on up to 6 layers at a time!
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, it's quite easy and a shape I have always liked. It was only made harder by the Nordic horizontal design (essentially treated like stripes) which required careful layout and lots of thread tracing and hand basting to get it to match up.
Conclusion: Love my comfy wintry dress!
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment