Pattern Reviews> Sewing Workshop> San Diego Jacket (San Diego Jacket)

Reviewed by:KarmenG

About KarmenGstarstar
MA United States
Member since: 1/3/03
Posted on:2/4/05 10:54 PM
Last Updated:2/4/05 10:55 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
mmemagpie said... (10/19/09 4:58 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for your suggestion about interfacing. I plan to make this shirt and will follow your advice.
RABennett said... (1/2/06 7:08 AM) Reply
very creative adaptions for this pattern
Mini said... (2/8/05 10:23 PM) Reply
This review motivated me to get the pattern and make a muslin. It looks very nice, but there seems to be an error in the drafting of the XL size. My sleeve was about 1/2" too big for the armhole. This is why I make a muslin:)! Otherwise, it looks good and I am looking forward to making the real jacket soon. Thanks again for the very helpful review.
Danvillegirl said... (2/8/05 1:55 PM) Reply
Very nice jacket. It looks nicer than the pattern drawing.
AnneM said... (2/5/05 7:01 PM) Reply
What a nice looking top you created. It is tastefully "art-to-wear"; great job.
KarmenG said... (2/5/05 4:13 PM) Reply
To everyone - Thanks for all the kind comments. I forgot to include - I did attach raglan shoulder pads, although the pattern did not call for them. this also smooths out the shoulder line.
Rebecca D said... (2/5/05 4:12 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks fantastic, I've been pondering this one since I saw the sleeveless version on Sewing Workshop's Gallery. I appreciate the information about the fitted shoulder, for some reason I thought it would be awfully baggy, but I see that it is not. Great review and the piping is a perfect touch.
Kay Y said... (2/5/05 11:35 AM) Reply
Great textured fabric! I like the contrast bias strips too - they really complete the look. I had wondered how that collar "really" looked, given the sketch it seemed asymmetrical. I agree with your choice to wear it open.
Kathy in NM said... (2/5/05 11:09 AM) Reply
Very nice!!! I pattern drawing is hard to figure - but your version looks great with the collar worn open. Hmm, think I'll need to try this one. Your drapey fabric really seems to fit the style. Like you, I noticed the horizontal line of the forward shoulders which would help visually balance my hips. I'm glad you mentioned the more tailored fit in the shoulder area - the pattern drawing looks baggy. Thanks for a great review!
Mini said... (2/5/05 10:46 AM) Reply
That is beautiful, and the shape of the jacket looks much better than the pattern illustration suggests. Your jacket looks like a good cross between tailored and arty styling.
Ruth T said... (2/5/05 10:07 AM) Reply
I like your version of this jacket! That is what I like about Sewing Workshop patterns - They are so adaptable to different looks and each garment is truely unique.
NoraNora said... (2/5/05 6:24 AM) Reply
Thanks for reviewing this pattern and especially for the picture of yours. I really liked everything about this pattern but the collar...it just looked sloppy to me...but after seeing your jacket and how you wear it...I definitely need to make one!
NoraNora said... (2/5/05 6:23 AM) Reply

jlg said... (2/5/05 5:29 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks wonderful and is becoming on you.
ClaireC said... (2/5/05 4:59 AM) Reply
I love the jacket and the textured fabric. The bias bands were a nice touch. I too have this pattern in my stash. Thank you for the warning about interfacing.
Patti B said... (2/5/05 0:12 AM) Reply
Great looking jacket! This is in my stash and I'm glad to see how well it turned out. Your seam treatment is lovely. Is your house almost back together after the flood?
SueV said... (2/4/05 11:07 PM) Reply
Great review; I have this pattern and am waiting for lavender linen which I ordered. It looks very nice on you. I'll watch the sleeve length and consider putting in interfacing! The bias trim is also a nice touch!

by: MNBarb