Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|Self Drafted Pattern: 12246-1000 (1960 Princess Traincase) - Type:Accessories|
Review submitted in Handbag Contest Contest
|Viewed 161 times
Review rated Very Helpful
by 4 people
|About lacroise1 |
|Member since: 3/2/04 |
|Reviews written: 9|
|patterns reviewed: 9|
|Posted on:||2/12/13 3:16 AM |
|Last Updated:||2/12/13 3:59 AM|
|Fabric:||Upholstery Tapestry [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: Was going for a 1960 Princess traincase. Self drafted pattern for round train case about 16 inches in dia not counting handle, about 6 inches tall. zipper closure, purse feet. self lined top pockets for phone and wallet.. phone pocket has magnetic closure. lined pocket in front, fully lined zipper pocket in back. Back pocket is only attached at sides so that it will slide over roller bag handle and there are magnetic closures to keep it from sliding around. Handmade piping with grosgrain ribbon. Fully lined interior... Lid has zippered pocket with slide pocket behind, ribbon tie downs for clothes, and around perimeter, is an assortment of pockets of various sizes. Some of the pockets have elastic at top edge and 1 has a zipper, and my most favorite part is my ID pocket|
Have been wanting a new travel bag for quite some time. My old bag has seen better days, sad to say, and it has been retired. I loved that bag, it was the perfect size, had lots of pockets but there were a few things that I would have done differently if I had made it myself. For the new bag I wanted a deeper outside pocket for a magazine. the old one was a little too shallow and my mag always got really dog eared and messy. I also wanted a sleeve on the outside that I could slide over the handle of a wheelie bag so it would stay put and I would rather have magnetic closures instead of velcro on pockets and such. I had been debating for months about making my own and was thinking about copying the old one and make the necessary changes that I wanted but decided that taking the old bag apart would be way too much work. So I bought a pattern that I was going to alter extensively but then I never got around to making one.
An upcoming trip to Vegas and this contest was the motivation I needed to finally actually make this bag... I have always wanted a 1960 Princess traincase. I looked high and low for an actual vintage one but they were either too big or were way more $$$ then brand new luggage. Dang.. I really needed a new carry on bag, My usual moto... How hard could it be? Well, harder than I thought.
Pattern Sizing: about 16 inches in dia not counting handle and 6 inches tall.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? It is pretty close to the picture I had in my head.
Were the instructions easy to follow? No.. because I didn't have any and had to make it up as I went. I have made a bag before but due to fabric/interfacing choices had to change construction order frequently because I could not get it to go through any of my sewing machines.
Fabric Used: outer fabric is a little bit heavier than upholstery weight fabric with a jacquard pattern and because of the floats on the back of the fabric the decor bond wouldn't stick very well so I ended up quilting the decor bond to all outer fabric pieces. I could not find piping that matched so I made my own with filler cord and grosgrain ribbon. Lining fabric is also upholstery weight fabric and I used a heavy weight interfacing on all lining pieces except for one of the pocket pieces.. Only because I forgot and pocket was already inserted before I noticed it didn't have lining.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made a lot of changes from original idea. Outer fabric with decor bond and lining with heavy interfacing was extremely hard to sew through, about 75 percent of the bag had to be sewn by hand.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I might sew it again when I need another one, But not anytime soon...next time I will be sure to have an industial sewing machine!
Conclusion: I LOVE THIS BAG!!!! I went to Vegas with it and it was wonderful... Love all the little extras I took the time to add. After Vegas, I think this will actually be Phase 1, in Phase 2 I want to add an insert/divider for toiletries that can be removed and make a wallet that matchs this bag and fits in wallet pocket a little better
This bag about whipped my hinny a few times and took out a few sewing machines, a serger, 4+ packs of heavy duty sewing machine needles, and almost 1 Emergency Room visit in the process; So this tured out to be a very expensive bag in the end. More so, than an actual vintage one if I factor in the many hours it took to make it and the list below.. BUT I STILL LOVE THIS BAG!!!. Here is the breakdown
Outer Fabric = counted this as free fabric since I have had it in my stash forever
Inner Fabric = still free fabric.. even older than outer fabric
Findings = 2 26in zippers, bag of magnetic snaps, grograin ribbon, filler cord, purse feet, 4 D-rings, decor bond, and heavy duty interfacing about 35 dollars. (Alaska prices)
Zipper foot for Vintage National sewing machine because it was the only machine that had the power to go through all that interfacing= about 22 dollars... All the other machines I have are low shank that are not broken... see below
Baby Loc Enlighten =$128.90 repair bill to have timing readjusted...
1966 Calandula Pfaff= bent needle plate still have to find one, not sure of price yet
Brand new Singer heavyweight = was Christmas present... Uhmmm... not really heavyweight after all... unsure of damage.... too afraid to tell DH I broke it...
1 incindent with projectile needle fragment stabing me in the neck.. thank heavens for reader glasses.. that could have been really ugly.
I still love this bag... here is the rest of the pictures.
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment