|Vogue Patterns: 1314 (Misses' Dress) - Type:Dresses |
|Viewed 435 times
||27 more reviews|
Review rated Very Helpful
by 4 people
|About grays08 |
|Member since: 9/13/11 |
|Reviews written: 63|
|Favored by: 15 people|
|patterns reviewed: 62|
|Posted on:||2/4/13 10:59 AM |
|Last Updated:||2/4/13 11:01 AM|
Vogue Patterns Pattern Info
More Info provided by grays08
|Pattern Rating:||Highly Recommend |
|See other patterns in this category: Dresses |
|Available for sale on PR: $24.00 (See envelope) |
|Fabric:||Poly-Lycra Knit [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: |
Misses' Tracy Reese dress: Pullover, close-fitting, lined dress has draped sides and narrow hem.
I made a size 12 for a 36" bust as per the finished measurements listed on pattern, and this was good. In hindsight I should have used a slightly larger size in the shoulder area as I have broad shoulders but fit was still good being a knit.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes. Back of Dress
I would note that the pattern envelope says it will take 2 1/8 yards for a size 12, but I found I got it out of 1 1/2 yard following suggested grainlines and layout but perhaps that's because I had 62" fabric.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Extremely easy to follow. I used clear elastic for the seam binding and chainstitched the topstitching on each side of the elastic. I would highly recommend doing step 7 due to all the gathers and helping support them/keep them in place. I appreciated this step being in there because a lot of times it is not with gathered knits.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
- Straight forward and easy to do
- Good instructions for securing gathers
- Length is perfect for this style of dress
- A little more involved than your average quick knit project but worth it. Any time gathers are involved, it's fussy in my opinion, but this is easy so not horrible! = )
A polyester ITY lycra knit from Fabric Mart Fabrics.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
- I changed how I did the neck binding so I altered steps 12 and 13 by just serging the neck edge, topstitching the seam allowance down away from the neck in lieu of the understitching. My serged seam was 1/4" so couldn't flip this up and understitch as they suggested, but I like how I did it, and it looks good.
- I didn't do the lining so I skipped steps 8-10 and 19. In hindsight I would recommend doing the lining just due to the snugness of this dress - might as well give yourself a little more forgiveness in how it clings!
- Stabilized the shoulder seams with Stay Tape
- Hemmed the sleeves first prior to sewing together since I was coverstitching. I just find this easier to get on my machine than the tiny wrist hem.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Not sure if I'll sew again as it's a pretty basic dress however you could wear with so many things so who knows. It's a great basic wardrobe piece.
|Buy this pattern for $24.00 List Price: |$32.00 Add to Bag