Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 1716 (Misses Top and Dress)

Reviewed by:aleah42

More Info provided by aleah42

Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Tops
Fabric:Rayon Jersey  [See other projects in this fabric]
I'm updating this old review with a new version of this top, the cowl, view F. I still love love love this pattern!

Everything below still applies. I again cut a 10-12, omitting the center back seam, and folding out the armhole pleat before cutting (I just don't need the extra room in the bust).

This time I used a beautiful rayon jersey in a fun mod print from Emma One Sock. It's described as a "dry" knit, which was recommended on the forums as the only kind of rayon jersey that won't pill. We shall see! It certainly doesn't have the kind of soft smooth texture of the pilly rayons I've used in the past. It has a lovely drape and is fairly heavy, perfect for this pattern.

If you're looking for a fantastic cowl pattern, look no further! It's got a lovely fitted shape through the waist and the cowl falls perfectly without flipping out or revealing too much. Still recommended!

**********************

Pattern Description: Misses' knit mini-dress, tunic and top can be made with a front twist or draped neckline with five different sleeve variations to choose from.
I made view F, the regular cowl with 3/4 length sleeves.

Pattern Sizing: 4-20. I made my usual 10-grade-to-12.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow? They were clear for my version.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love this style of cowl, and this one is not too deep! The pattern has nice shaping and is very long, which I like. I wasn't crazy about the weird bust pleat, so I omitted it.

Fabric Used: What I thought was a regular cotton-lycra jersey, from the bins at Michael Levine Loft in LA. One problem: it seems to be permanently wrinkled. Although it looks like I've just left the shirt at the bottom of a pile of dirty clothes for a week, in fact this is what it looks like fresh from the dryer. And it's totally impervious to ironing. Not only does the iron not remove the wrinkles, but it makes the fabric turn a darker shade of purple for several minutes. I am puzzled.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I cut the back on the fold (because even though I do need a swayback alteration, center back seams never seem RTW to me, and that's what I was going for).
I omitted the strange additional pleat that comes out of the armscye (I just folded it out of the pattern before I cut) because I thought it was odd and I don't need the extra room in the bust (plus one less pleat to sew!)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes and yes! I will certainly make another of these (maybe a couple) and I'll give the weird twisty neckline variation a try at some point too.

Conclusion: There's not much more to say about this one, but it's a keeper! I was looking for a pattern to duplicate a couple RTW Gap tops I have, and this is basically perfect. It fits well, I love the neckline, and it went together so fast!

Blogged at no time to sew

AndreaSews said... (2/18/13 11:29 PM) Reply
Cute top! I like the crinkled effect of the fabric.
margy.64 said... (2/18/13 8:21 PM) Reply
Lovely casual top. Pretty colour on you.
canei said... (2/18/13 5:32 PM) Reply
Nice!
Elona said... (2/18/13 3:39 PM) Reply
You know, I really like the result you got by leaving out the armhole darts. It's a great-looking top!
grays08 said... (2/18/13 9:05 AM) Reply
This is great. I wore mine the other day and thought that I needed to make the style you made here (which is mine without the ruching on the bottom sides) because I love it. Yours is great and love the pink!
Lori V said... (2/18/13 7:16 AM) Reply
That looks great on you, very interesting fabric it sounds like.
Mary Gillette said... (2/18/13 5:15 AM) Reply
You look great in your top, you should definately make more.
SavageCoco said... (2/18/13 2:08 AM) Reply