Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|BurdaStyle Magazine: 03-2013-127 (Traveller pants) - Type:Pants |
|Viewed 381 times
||1 more reviews|
Review rated Helpful
by 2 people Very Helpful
by 9 people
|About arianamaniacs |
|Member since: 6/11/04 |
|Reviews written: 154|
|Favored by: 39 people|
|patterns reviewed: 147|
|Posted on:||2/22/13 5:47 AM |
|Last Updated:||2/23/13 5:48 PM|
More Info provided by arianamaniacs
|Pattern Rating:||Highly Recommend |
|NEW! See reviews of patterns from this issue|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: |
"Travelling pants" with layered side pockets, drawstring waist and zippered legs.
Here's my muslin
Here's my jeans version
36-42. Unfortunately I am a 44/46, so I had to manually size up. When I measured the waist, it seemed 44 would be ok. My muslin was woven, but it turned out too tight in the hips. I sized up to 46 for the jeans version, but then it was too big and I had to take a bunch out of the side seams.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes! Well at least it looked like the drawing.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
They were great for the pocket construction but got dodgy about the zipper part on the legs. Instructions like: "While sewing the inner leg seam, lay the seam allowance down." Uhh what? I didn't bother to read the directions for the waist fly zip, but my construction went okay.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
- Pocket designs on the side are super cool! Lots of room for creative embellishment here with different fabric types or trims. Be warned though, that if you use thick fabric, or even something like leather, that you'll be working with a seam with up to 4 layers from the pockets, pocket linings, and overlaps. I added black satin ribbon and top-stitched my pants with red for highlights. I also added a leather "D" to the back side top pocket. You can see that a little in the back view if you look really closely.
- Roomy shape without being too relaxed or baggy at hips.
- Fabric requirements were bang on, don't buy too little in the hope of squeaking it out.
- The depth of the top pocket is too short. If your fabric is at all see through, the pocket seam will show through above the next pocket line. You have to add length to piece 22 (the line that marks the pocket cut-on) and 23 hip piece to match.
- Even on my stretch jeans, I find the upper pocket really tight. It's hard to get my hand in there. It would be worth widening the top pocket pattern piece for a small amount of ease for your hand.
Muslin: Poly woven
Jeans: medium weight stretch denim
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I left off the drawstring on purpose. Since I tend to be quite round at my waistline (apple shape), I don't like have any extra hardware or tie strings sticking out even further. Plus they just make a lump when I wear a sweater over my pants (I never wear anything tucked in).
I also added elastic to the middle back because I'm always gain/lose 5 pounds and it happens directly at my waist. I like to make sure they can compensate or I find I just don't wear pants.
My muslin and 2nd version say to:
- Add 1 1/4 in. to the back inner leg to compensate for bubble butt and curve CB seam towards sway back. (You can see I didn't add enough to the jeans versions in the back, which created those wrinkles.
- 44 is OK, but these just aren't comfortable out of non-stretch fabric.
- Lengthen 22&23 so pocket is deeper and seam doesn't show.
- I discovered that I am a good 1 inch lower in front than in back. I need to pinch out that extra room at the front crotch in the pattern next time.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I'm definitely sewing these again, I'd like to have a TnT of these. My jeans version are pretty comfortable, but they turned out larger than I thought they would. I think I need to wash and dry these on super hot and see if that helps any. In worst case, I'll take small darts out of side back.
Cost: 2 Eur + zipper
Sewing time: Harry Potter 6 & 7 (Part 1)
Frustration level: Everything went well!
Cost: 18 Euro
Sewing time: All Saturday! I was assuming I'd bang these out, since my muslin went so fast but with all the fiddling with the size (inc. ripping), zipper legs, decorative details, I spent at least 7-8 hours on these.
Frustration level: Not a big fan of ripping, so that was annoying, but it was my own fault for top-stitching before checking the fit :-/
Good-fitting pants, pockets are way easier than they look. If you're daunted by the leg zippers, they'd be easy to leave off.
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment