|Pattern Description: |
An "Amazine Fit" pattern. Dress with front and back princess seams, sleeveless or 2 different sleeve lengths, separate pattern pieces for A, B, C, and D cup sizes, angled pockets, and 2 different necklines.
16 - 24.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Fairly much - if you ignore the fact that I am a slightly different shape than the model.
Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions are very detailed and include lots of fitting information and sewing tips - and yes, they are easy to follow.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I first saw the pattern when I read Bluepine's review in June 2011. I liked the princess seams, the pockets, and the idea that the pattern supplied fitting help.
Fabric Used: Cotton from Southern France (Souleiado), purchased many (20?) years ago - fortunately, fabrics don't spoil and cotton doesn't get moth-eaten.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: The whole idea of this pattern is to make alterations for individual fit.
Since I am a classic pear shape, with sizes bust-waist-hips getting increasingly larger, I traced the bust pieces for size 16 with a B-cup, then angling to an 18 at the waist (easy to do since all sizes are printed together). I traced the skirt pieces for size 18 then angled to size 20 from the waist to the hip area.
I know that a muslin is a good idea, but I thought I would chance it and start right in with the dress fabric. I followed the instructions up to the point where the dress could be tried on....and discovered that I should have done a SBA (sagging boobs adjustment - decades of gravity have taken their toll). My apex was enough below the curve of the princess seam (and no amount of shortening my bra straps did any good) that it looked awful.
OK, a muslin was called for after all. The skirt part was ok, so I made a bodice muslin, to be attached to the skirt for the next fitting. The total length of the bodice, shoulder to waist, was good, so I wanted to keep it. I added one inch above the bust, at half armhole height, to lower the curve of the bust, then shortened the bodice by one inch below the bust, so that the length remained the same. Adding the upper inch lengthened the armholes, so I raised their lower edge by the one inch. Much better!
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would definitely recommend this to others. I'm not sure I would sew it again - not because I don't like it but because I have other dress patterns that I want to try. On the other hand, now that I have the fitting problem solved, it might be worth giving it a try with sleeves, for autumn or winter wear. Time will tell.
Conclusion: I am quite pleased with this dress. When I was sewing the lapped zipper in the center back seam, I machine stitched the first side of the opening to the zipper. Then, when I was pinning the second side of the opening to the second zipper tape, I couldn't believe my eyes - the pattern of the fabric matched on the bodice back! I don't think I could have made that happen if I had tried! I decided that if my house sewing kobold went to the extra trouble to make the pattern match, the least I could do was hand pick the rest of the zipper - so I did.
Close up view of bodice back