Online Sewing Class: Understanding Sheer Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2444 (Misses' Dresses)

Reviewed by:mangoflavor

About mangoflavorstar
MA
Member since: 7/10/11
Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner
Posted on:4/28/13 3:19 PM

mangoflavor said... (5/7/13 9:28 PM) Reply
IglesideBelle, thanks for your tips. I was really excited to take these photos under the blossoms that I didn't really pay attention to lighting. I will keep these tips in mind on future photoshoots :)
InglesideBelle said... (5/5/13 10:37 PM) Reply
Your dress looks great and you look happy wearing it! You describe your sewing process well and demonstrate good judgment in your choices of lining and underlining. As for the hem being shorter in back, I've experienced the same phenomenon with skirts that I've made for one of my daughters. I've learned to cut the back an inch longer and taper at the sides to the front length. Actually, today I read a comment by an experienced dressmaker and alterations expert that making the back hem of a skirt or dress a bit longer (I think she said 1/4") is visually slimming. You do such nice work sewing; it would be nice if your photos made it easier to see the results. The photo showing the bodice front is the best for showing what the fabric looks like after being made into the dress. But it's difficult to see the dress in the photo showing the back because of the shadows cast by the tree and the busy background. Here's a photo tip: take outdoor photos either on cloudy days when there is not the dramatic light and shadow confusion, or early or late in the day when the light is softer. :)
madbadger said... (5/4/13 5:01 PM) Reply
I just finished a dress from this pattern (will probably do a review tomorrow when I wear it) but have to say, I like YOUR version a lot better than mine, lol! Looks fabulous on you - great review!
Jessica Dean said... (5/2/13 0:07 AM) Reply
I am so glad that you overcame your self-consciousness about the colors. They look beautiful on you! Great job on the dress. :)
ChristmasHills said... (4/29/13 2:31 AM) Reply
Lovely dress and perfect spot under the flowering cherries. Isn't it annoying when we spot things like twinning in a photograph and yet in real life it passes us by. The good news is than no one else but other sewers will notice either, and we are not too many - you'll be safe. I love your pleated skirt.
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (4/28/13 10:25 PM) Reply
Gorgeous floral print dress and so lovely under the blossoms....very springy!
Kbenco said... (4/28/13 3:34 PM) Reply
Your dress is so pretty and fits very nicely. I love the blossom photographs, just gorgeous.

The Technique of Underlining Garments