Online Sewing Class: More Knits

Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5206 (Criss-Cross Top)

Viewed 1966 times

Sweater knit fabrics

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

Mufffet said... (10/6/05 2:33 PM) Reply
Very nice. What a nice fit!
Danvillegirl said... (3/21/05 5:28 AM) Reply
Ditto to all the comments about how this seems to fit you well. Looks better than the pattern photo.
CarolynGM said... (3/20/05 3:28 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I really do love the top and plan to wear it a lot. I just have a thing about that annoying fold above the bust that appears on so many of my tops. I also made another Jalie 2005 this weekend, and yes, of course, it is there too. I'm an A cup, so it is difficult to imagine needing a teeny FBA, but perhaps I do.
Vivienne said... (3/20/05 2:41 PM) Reply
I agree with the "buy one in every colour" crowd. The shoulder fit is perfect. I see what you mean about the small fold above bust, but it is really tiny. Nice sleeve length too.
lisa m said... (3/20/05 1:11 PM) Reply
Gorgeous fit, Irina. Loes Hinse patterns are notorious for having pretty awful envelope photos. I think the designer would say your shirt fits exactly as she intended. It is meant to be close fitting.
LBJ said... (3/20/05 12:58 PM) Reply
Great review! You're right, I've avoided this pattern because of it's baggyness, as I too am small. Your top looks beautiful on you. It looks classic and is very flattering. Now I'm reconsidering this pattern.
Peggy L said... (3/20/05 12:53 PM) Reply
Irina - This looks great and I love the fit on you! I'm in the "I would buy one in every color crowd!"
SewTwin said... (3/20/05 12:13 PM) Reply
This looks like a D-TNT(Dynamite TNT).I had the same problem on my Jalie 2005.Took a teeny dart,solved the problem.Not to worry,this would pass all designers reviews!I love your reviews,they are always classic,and tailored.Now if we could only trade the lean body,I would be the happy camper.Se la vi!Did you alter the neckline?Perfect height for me!
keric said... (3/20/05 11:37 AM) Reply
Your's is much better than the model's. It looks wonderful on you! Beautiful!
jlg said... (3/20/05 11:34 AM) Reply
Irina, I have to agree with the previous comments. I think that your top looks great on you as it is. You have such a graceful figure.
Elona said... (3/20/05 11:14 AM) Reply
What a pretty top, Irina! I think your choice of shoulder size in this pattern is the right one. It looks as though the sleeve starts just about at your own shoulder "hinge." As mini observes, the upper body/chest of this pattern does seem to run wide, and I don't think cutting that part any larger would have been flattering for you. The dreaded fold at the upper bust/armhole is something I'm grappling with, too. On me, it is absolutely related to a snug fit at the upper and full bust, and it shows up on all my current RTW tops, since the fashion is more close-fitting now. I suspect it has something to do with the armhole curve in relationship to that tight bustline.
Leslie in Austin said... (3/20/05 11:12 AM) Reply
I think the fit looks pretty terrific, Irina, and I'm with Karla--I'd buy one in every color. The fit you got with yours looks *worlds* better than the pattern photos, and the fabric you used looks yummy.
Karla Kizer said... (3/20/05 11:07 AM) Reply
My litmus test is usually "If I tried on RTW that fit like this, would I buy it?" My answer in this case would be a resounding " YES - in every color". Don't overanalyze the fit; change it next time if you want, but wear this top knowing that it looks great. Doggone it, another pattern on my list...
Jennifer shaw said... (3/20/05 11:02 AM) Reply
Thank you for the review, Irina! Your top looks great on you!!
drsue said... (3/20/05 10:38 AM) Reply
I love your top and think it looks much nicer than the pattern envelope photos. I think the shoulder look like they fit fine but perhaps you just need a mini FBA to get rid of the folds above the bust.
rach said... (3/20/05 10:07 AM) Reply
There's a fitting adjustment described by Marcy Tilton in her 1998 book on tops and tee-shirts (pg.46) that might help the bust/underarm fit. It consists of lengthening the top at the bust by 1/2", adding a curved bit at the sides, which is then eased in when sewing the side seams together. This would enable you to use a close-fitting size through the shoulder/upper chest/armhole area, while allowing enough fabric to shape well over the bust area.
Mini said... (3/20/05 9:08 AM) Reply
Irina, thanks for a helpful review. Re the fit in the shoulders and upper chest, I think this is such a matter of taste. Yours looks okay to me, but if you are not pleased with it that is what matters. I compared this patttern to some others that are drafted for a body-hugging fit with a natural shoulder line. This one is definitely drafted wider across the shoulder and chest. This is a styling feature that will not give the kind of fit you may be looking for. It is an issue of pattern shape rather than size. In general, LH doesn't produce patterns that are truly fitted. Her styles generally have a relaxed fit in the upper body. I like the neckline treatment on this pattern, and will borrow it to use on other tee patterns that fit me better.

by: Nenewhis