Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 2447 (Men's Shirt, Vest, and Ties)

Reviewed by:Manalto

About Manaltostar
Member since: 5/29/08
Posted on:6/9/13 8:45 PM
Last Updated:6/9/13 8:52 PM

See other patterns in this category: Mens - Jackets
MNBarb said... (6/11/13 3:54 PM) Reply
Ah, nothing like a well-sewn men's shirt. Your work is impressive and the soft fabric so inviting. There is such a shortage of men's patterns but you've taken one of the few and made a garment that looks like it's tailor-made. I also like those basic macines. No need for kittens at my house.
Manalto said... (6/11/13 4:44 AM) Reply
Dear RLL, I have only vintage machines; the newest one is a Viking 6570 from the 1970s and the oldest one is a Wheeler & Wilson from the 1870s. They all will sew. My go-to machines are the Necchi BU, Singer 401 and the Viking when a free-arm is called for. Not only are they aesthetically more pleasing to me than the modern plastic machines (except for the fugly Viking), but I feel more comfortable using a simpler machine that I can trouble-shoot, oil and adjust. None of them can embroider baskets of kittens or has a "Bobbin Low" alarm, but I seem to be coping.
RLL said... (6/10/13 3:35 PM) Reply
Nice looking shirt. I like natural muslin myself. I use this pattern all the time for my hubby's dress shirts. I agree about the pocket being too big and I ended up using one from another shirt....keep a copy in the pattern envelope now. I like the collar size but you could always cut it down some for your liking. You have quite a nice collection of old machines . Do you work on them as well as collect?
Manalto said... (6/10/13 12:15 PM) Reply
Dear arianamaniacs, I actually used muslin. It looks wrinkled like linen because I washed and didn't iron it for that photo. The other photo of the collar up close shows it starched and ironed. I didn't get the fabric at JoAnns, but bought a 100-yard bolt online for .50/yd. It was a gamble, but I lucked out. It's slightly more substantial than most muslins I've seen. I wouldn't say it's cozy and soft the way flannel is, but comfortable like an old-fashioned 100% cotton bed sheet.
Elke said... (6/10/13 7:46 AM) Reply
Very nice shirt and it looks terrific on you! Thanks for a great review!
arianamaniacs said... (6/10/13 4:14 AM) Reply
Great looking shirt! Are you actually using muslin or linen? The muslins I've seen at JoAnns for example aren't that cozy or soft. Good call on ditching the hand-sewing, I hate that too. Especially in cases where it's not necessary

Contest Travel Wardrobe Contest