|Pattern Description: |
Very loose-fitting, lined jacket has neckband, welt pockets, two-piece sleeves with insets, top-stitching, snap closing and optional tabs with snaps. Wide seam allowances used for thickness of seams and no provisions provided for above waist adjustment. (Pattern included for semi-fitted, tapered pants have waistband, side front pockets and fly front zipper.)
(6-14) and (14-22)
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
In a sort of way.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions themselves were very easy to follow.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I was initially attracted to the style when the pattern first came out. I usually like loose fitting styles, and this certainly was extremely, very loose-fitting. It also has pockets, although they could have been positioned a bit further towards the centre front.
A wool mixture of some sort, bought specifically for this project from Pitt Trading - where my problems with this jacket all began. I used a soft lining from stash, probably sunsilky.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I did not make a muslin/toile, I thought the loose style would lend itself to easy adjustment. First mistake.
The fabric choice was my second mistake. The wide seam allowances, in some cases 1-1/4 inch (3.2 cm) made it extremely difficult to match the stripes in the fabric. This was particularly so for the shoulder seams.
I also used a medium/light fusible interfacing. I have found interfacing jackets gives them a nice structured tailoured effect. Third mistake. Especially for the sleeves. It gave them a bit of an extra rounded Mr Michelin Man look.
I initially cut out the size 12, my usual pattern size is 14. It was humungous. I ended up cutting the pattern pieces back to a size 6. Whilst this was a good size in the shoulders and arms it was quite snug in the hip area, but I can wear it open. I had read the bust measurements on the pattern pieces but didn't realise this was for the jacket opened, from edge to edge.
I did shorten the sleeves by 1-1/2 inches (4cm).
I used very large snaps, 28mm, and omitted the tabs.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will not sew it again but only because it is so distinctive. I would recommend it if the style appeals to you, but choose the size carefully. Also a plain fabric would make it much easier to sew.
I nearly tossed it when I first tried on my size 12 attempt, it was soooo huge. Luckily I loved the fabric so I wasn't going to let this minor detail deter me, but I had to buy extra fabric to match the stripes. Because of the extra wide seam allowances of the raglan sleeves matching of the stripes was extremely difficult. Normally this would not have been a problem if the usual seam allowances were used, but the topstitching is part of the appeal.
Surprisingly, with all the problems I encountered, I really love the distinctive and unique design of my new jacket. Even though the pockets aren't very comfortable for putting your hands in, they are pockets.