Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 3245 (Raglan Tee, Racerback Tank and Tunics)

Reviewed by:Elizabeth made this

Fabric:Cotton Jersey  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: racerback tank

Pattern Sizing:
12M to women's 22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?yes
The actual construction is simple. It's 4 seams and binding. I like Jalie's method of binding, but it takes practice. They have you sew the binding to the wrong side of the neckline, flip it to the right side, and fold it over the seam as you're stitching. It produces excellent, RTW results, but you must be careful to not stretch the neckline as you're sewing. Also, you have to watch your needle so that you're stitching an even distance away from the fold. I'd like to say that this is a quick and easy sew, but unless you're proficient at this style of binding, this step is a major time suck.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?This is a great basic for a workout top. I have few workout tops and no tanks which becomes uncomfortable this time of year when it's 80 degrees at 6am when I go running.

This has great strap coverage on the front, but it doesn't quite cover everything in the back. I don't mind that for running, but if I were making this as a regular tank, I'd definitely want to change that.

When I first bought this pattern, I really liked the curved hem, but after 3 tees, I'm kind of over the look. I'll swap out a straight hem the next round.

Fabric Used:#1 cotton interlock, #2 cotton slub knit
yellow version

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I learned from the raglan version (which I will review one of these days) that I needed a 1/2" petite adjustment. Though I compared it to my TNT (Jalie 2921), I found that the armscye sat a little lower on this pattern. It could have been my fabric choice, but at any rate, it was necessary for a tank. I rarely wear sleeveless tees because it's so rare to find one with adequate side coverage. This adjustment also raises the neckline slightly which is great! I also shortened it by an inch which brought the length to a better spot on me.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?It needs some tweaking to be good to go for regular wear, but this is an excellent pattern for workout gear.

Conclusion: More on my blog.
Elizabeth Made This: Jalie 3245

Other Projects by Elizabeth made this using this Pattern

Vesta Patterns

vestapatterns.com

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

momsurfing said... (4/8/15 11:29 PM) Reply
i does make a great dress. i don't use binding and just turn under about 3/8" and cover stitch all of the openings.
Elizabeth made this said... (7/17/13 9:31 AM) Reply
yes, this would be great as a dress!
MNBarb said... (7/16/13 2:08 PM) Reply
I somehow missed all other reviews of this pattern and didn't bite on any of this year's Jalie patterns. Thanks for this review. The racerback, but not too racerback shape of this tank is calling my name. It would make a perfect summer, knock-around dress, too.
momsurfing said... (7/14/13 11:02 PM) Reply
i just made a test with this pattern using a very soft and thin knit and was pleased with the way it turned out. it looks rtw. easy to make but the binding is very time consuming.
Stephanie C. said... (7/14/13 5:39 PM) Reply
I appreciate your honesty on the binding. This pattern is on my wish list, I can wait a little longer.

by: iluv2sew61

Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

No Pattern Used Heart of Mary Messenger B