|Pattern Description: |
Girls/ladies swimsuit size A to FF, 21" to 50" bust
I made a Z and the FF. I think I'm the first to post a review of the largest size.
True to size which is new for me for Jalie, they've always tended to fit snug. I made the FF thinking better be too big than too small and it was about two sizes too big. My bust size is the DD and that would have been fine. Also, it needs a couple of little tweaks, I am long in the torso and need to adjust for that about an inch and I didn't, and the leg opening, although it is conservative on the larger sizes, I took it down another inch in the front anyway since I have a belly to deal with.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, although I made a solid colour so the blocking is not evident. I also merged the side panels together like LM2HYD did in her review. Those two pieces do not create any shaping, it is just for the colour blocking.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. The only thing I realized because I was in a rush (sewed this in an hour) is that I think I missed a step to attach the lining to the long princess seam. My lining is completely loose on the front and the lining princesss seam can be seen underneath.
Sew fronts together. Sew linings together. With serged seams held together, serge both again. That will leave the smooth side of the lining facing the body, and the right side of the fashion fabric outside. The centre panel will be held in place. This is going to make a difference in the next one when I might need the structure of this seam to hold boobage. I plan on putting a shelf bra in, which is what I put in my other suits.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I don't like the bust fit. If you need support, it isn't the suit for you. This is also true for the size Z that I made for my daughter.
Oh dear, the same remainder end that I've been making my bathing suit from for 12 years from a Baltex border print. I've finally used it up and had to patch in a piece for the back strap from the other side of the border. My daughters (not shown) is also of Baltex, it is very heavy spandex and wonderful for suits. This suit does better with a higher elastene content.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Daughter is not impressed that the bum is not lined. I reminded her of the swim team suits but she would prefer a lined bum. That would be easy enough to do on the next one.
I altered the leg openings, on both, down in the front by 1" across the top of the leg and blending in at the size seam. The butt fit is fantastic.
Sewing steps: It can be annoying because of having to switch between serging, and then elastic and turning the back straps before finishing the suit. I set my sewing machine to do twin needle, and used that to sew the back strap, instead of doing a coverstitch conversion halfway in the sewing and back again.
Serger 1: super stretch seam (2 needles, lower looper)
Serger 2: elastic adaptor
Sewing machine 1: Stretch twin needle
Enabler alert: Having multiple machines is useful.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would sew it again, and would (for me) either raise the neckline or add into the body for length.
Here's the part that I think is important for these suits: The line of the princess seam has to hit across the bust point. On mine, and my daughters, since we erred on the larger side, the princess line is too far to the outside of the body and frankly looks weird. If it was colour blocked it might seem okay, but it makes a big difference in the bust fit, when it is too big, there is extra fabric under the armpit as a result. Since this is all done in stretch fabric it is not that evident.
I suggest tracing the front panel and making a full size pattern piece. Take that piece and hold it up to the front of the body. If the lines follow the curves of the body, that is probably the correct size.
Good easy pattern, sews up quickly. There is no support but the suit is lightweight and dries fast.
Edit: I've had a couple of questions about sewing this in an hour. I meant the actual sewing part. I made three of these, two in a Z and one in the FF. I traced two sizes ( one hour) cut out three suits ( one hour) sewed the two Z sizes (er, three hours because I had a machine problem) and was not going to do this one but then decided to do so the next day (while husband packed car to go camping, lol). So, in making the this one, everything was set up and ready to go for the sewing. I sew a lot of lycra so can elasticize legholes in about five minutes. I don't measure out elastics and apply, I feed it through the attachment and "know" how much stretch to use.