I bought a pair of pants from a sort of thrift store. They were from Talbot's and I loved how they fit, so I decided to make a pattern.
I tried to make a pattern with the pants intact, but that didn't work. The first pair I tried to make were definitely too tight. I took the Talbot's pants partially apart. I took off the waist band from the center back. Then I took apart the crotch seam up to the front zipper. Finally, I took apart the front and back pieces so I could lay them out flat to make a pattern.
The front originally had horizontal welt pockets. I made the pattern so I could change pocket styles. This pair has a jeans type curved pocket..
When I put on the waistband, I started by sewing the inside band to the top edge. Then I sewed the top edge of the waistband together. I used my finished band technique for a smooth edge at the front closure. I pressed the band, pressing and pinning seam allowance in the front. With the band pinned, I ran two rows of top-stitching.
I found the fabric at a Hancock's spot-the-dot table. It's a stretch linen, almost like a denim. I fell in love with the color.
I really like how these turned out. I will definitely be making more. The hardest thing will be finding fabric with the right amount of stretch. These blue ones have the right balance of heaviness and stretch.