Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
Self Drafted Pattern: 295545-1013 (My twin dresses) - Type:Dresses    printable version
Review rated Very Helpful by 1 people
Reviewed by:divabuddha
About divabuddhastarstar
NC USA
Member since: 5/9/12
Posted on:10/25/13 1:15 PM
Project Photo:Self Drafted Pattern: 295545-1013 by divabuddha

Self Drafted Pattern: 295545-1013 by divabuddha  Self Drafted Pattern: 295545-1013 by divabuddha
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Rayon Challis  [See other projects in this fabric]
Related Links
Click on to add a link
I've been sewing a great deal lately, and it's been mostly useable, practical items like jackets, jeans and pants. That's great and all - and I've been wearing them to death, but I love impractical things. Frilly dresses. Strapless dresses. Frilly strapless dresses.

I pulled out some fabric yesterday to play around and ended up draping these two loverlies. Hooray frivolity. Pour the champagne.
Version #1 and #2
Version #2 - Bodice
Version #2 - Skirt fullness
Version #2 - Side
Version #2 - Back

Actually truth be told I have to thread up my serger with pink thread and finish the interior vertical seam of the skirt, and trim the skirt here and there on the first version. But I'm out of pink thread for the moments. Boo.

Pattern Description:
I actually based my idea around Alexander (Andrew?, can't quite remember) Pope's entry in this season of Project Runway. Specifically, the Belk challenge. I really loved the silhouette, and based my draping on his design.

Pattern Sizing:
Me. Tall, slender, all limbs, teeny tiny torso & a bit of a bottom.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I think it sort of looked like his version...mine was shorter and a bit more flirty. Although I'd make another longer one with more fullness in the skirt.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I fiddled as I went, but it was pretty straight-forward. I'm good with lined/boned bodices...I can whip those up quickly. I draped the first skirt in about and hour, and after figuring it out the second dress came together really quickly.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I don't know man, I really liked that dress when I saw that episode. And I really was ready to make a girl-y dress. Or two.

Fabric Used:
I put rayon challis in the description, but it's not. It's an Anna Sui Polyester Challis I got from FabricMart for $2.70 a yard. I had 4 yards.

I NEVER could figure out what to do with this stuff. When I bought it I thought the two prints slowly blended into on another.
Ummm....yeah, not so subtle
Nope. There's really just a line on demarkation between the two. I didn't want to color block with it, because it seemed like that would be an eye sore. However, I didn't want to use one with out the other since they were complimentary.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I started with the dress with the lighter pink/orange bodice and darker pink floral on the skirt. Once I realized I really liked it, and could just flip it around to use the rest of the fabric up - well, I'm just weird enough to think that is totally reasonable. The first version uses the basic bodice and the panels on the skirt vary in length. Just for a change, on the second, I made a sweetheart neckline and all the panels in the skirt were the same length.

Each of the panels was cut from a perfect square that was cut into equal triangles on the bias. This worked out for me in two ways. First all the vertical seams are on the lengthwise/crosswise grain so they were easy to sew. The bias edge (hypotenuse of the triangle) is the hem - so I didn't finish it - save for a few threads that had to be trimmed here and there. at the end of the day, on the second skirt with all the even panels - with right sides together I left 2 1/2" open and stitched all the way down the skirt points with backstitching. The waistline opened up and looked like this. Then I reinforced the top of the seam at a 90 degree angle and slashed the seam allowance to make the waistline and waistline seam allowance.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
This was a really fun day project. And, as I mentioned I could see making it again a little longer with more panels in the skirt for fullness....maybe in a red or something.

Conclusion:
I just want to twirl and leap in these dresses.
thumbsup Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
PammyC said...
Cute girly frocks! Please post a photo of the dreeses on you, I mean, everything looks good on a dress form ;)
10/26/13 2:01 AM
Chempac said...
Very lovely dresses!
10/26/13 10:25 PM
Levone said...
Pretty dresses, very creative!
11/3/13 7:09 PM

Islander Sewing Systems Renaissance Cape Pattern Pattern
Islander Sewing Systems Renaissance Cape Pattern Pattern

Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Apple-Picking Dress Digital Pattern (Size 6M-4)
Oliver + S Apple-Picking Dress Digital Pattern (Size 6M-4)

Price: $15.95

Blank Slate Lazy Day Pajamas Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Lazy Day Pajamas Digital Pattern

Price: $7.95

Lutterloh Supplement #267 - #151 Vest
Review by Sallygirl on 12/14/08
Read Review

Simplicity 1572 Pattern ( Size 3-4-5-6 )
Simplicity 1572 Pattern ( Size 3-4-5-6 )

Price: $14.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2683 Pattern ( Size 3-6 )
Simplicity 2683 Pattern ( Size 3-6 )

Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us