Online Sewing Class: Bust Adjustments

Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 7032-1003 (Wedding veil&alencon lace trim)

Viewed 2085 times
Reviewed by:JDpenelope

About JDpenelopestarstar
Member since: 9/9/03
Posted on:5/11/05 7:20 AM
Last Updated:6/12/05 10:17 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
Sew it seams said... (5/6/06 2:17 PM) Reply
You did such a beautiful job, Penelope. I cringed when I read the part where the veil was attached backward on the comb. I did the very same thing when I made my DD's veil. Mine was attached to a clip and I had already added the beading on the top of the clip. I told myself the same thing- "It's much more secure this time". You did a fabulous job and the bride is stunning.
SewingSkater said... (3/3/06 4:38 PM) Reply
Penelope this is breathtaking! Your new daughter in law is definitely lucky!!
Motorposus said... (6/13/05 8:32 AM) Reply
I'd like to add my "beautiful!" to the stack!
ryan's mom said... (6/13/05 8:26 AM) Reply
This is a stunning veil. Absolutely love the lace application on it--such a designer touch! I distinctly remember the cost of veils as a young college student. Kind of like draperies I quess? How can relatively simple things be SO expensive to buy. Much more cost effective to make your own, and in this case, so much more beautiful!
JDpenelope said... (6/13/05 7:43 AM) Reply
Thanks everybody for the kind comments and interest in my happy experiment. Lisa - The idea to gather after arriving was mine--but the book mentioned that it is difficult to get rid of wrinkles in tulle and I was terrified of scorching with the iron at the last minute. I bought 1.5 yards of lace (I think it was :D) in 2 trips to JoAnn's and had plenty left over. After the 1st purchase, it occurred to me that I might not have enough for the motifs I wanted, so I ran back for more in case JoAnn's were to run out later. The fabric was about 15" wide, I think.
Lisa Laree said... (6/13/05 7:16 AM) Reply
Very, very pretty! Was the idea to gather the tulle at the destination in the book or was it your own? I think that was sheer genius (pun intended! :p ). Just curious...how much lace yardage did you actually need?
Peggy L said... (6/12/05 8:02 PM) Reply
Beautiful bride and veil! You did a wonderful job.
PegL said... (6/12/05 5:19 PM) Reply
Hey StepMom -- you did a GREAT job! She looks radiant!! Beautiful bride and handsome groom! Thanks for the update! I love wedding photos -- everybody always looks so happy!
touran said... (6/12/05 1:36 PM) Reply
Thanks for documenting the whole process. The veil and your daughter are very gorgeous. What a wonderful gift to make for her.
JDpenelope said... (6/12/05 12:54 PM) Reply
Jennifer - Our sentiments exactly! However, we have noticed that some folks don't want to buy something UNLESS it's expensive. Of course, there are always vendors to accommodate these big spenders.
Jennifer shaw said... (6/12/05 11:30 AM) Reply
The veil is so perfect for your very gorgeous daughter. $850.00 - for a veil?? Why on Earth would anyone ever spend that?!! Yipes!
Jill Giard said... (6/12/05 10:55 AM) Reply
the veil is beautiful as is you stepdaughter. Great job on an elegant piece.
CarolynGM said... (6/12/05 10:47 AM) Reply
Thanks for the update, Penelope. The bride couldn't be more beautiful in her custom veil.
JoleneF said... (6/12/05 10:19 AM) Reply
I am just now seeing this. The veil turned out beautiful. She was a very pretty bride!
Mary Stiefer said... (6/12/05 10:09 AM) Reply
Wow - this looks fabulous.
Debbie Cook said... (6/12/05 10:08 AM) Reply
Oh what a beautiful bride!! Great job on the veil Penelope -- it's just lovely.
PhyllisC said... (5/12/05 10:18 AM) Reply
Yes - I agree that it's the real thing. Good for you!
els said... (5/12/05 5:50 AM) Reply
Your custom made veil looks beautiful.
GorgeousFabrics said... (5/12/05 5:45 AM) Reply
Penelope, that turned out just lovely!!! -Ann
Danvillegirl said... (5/12/05 5:31 AM) Reply
Very nice, veil truly looks great.
AnneM said... (5/12/05 4:39 AM) Reply
Very nice. Congratulations.
JDpenelope said... (5/11/05 3:10 PM) Reply
Thanks, everybody! Phyllis - As I recall, JoAnn's doesn't call it alencon lace...but from the looks of it and the description in my book, I believe it is alencon lace. (Perhaps the term "alencon" is like Bordeaux wine--only the French can use the term "Bordeaux", I believe) The book describes alencon lace as "re-embroidered...[with] a wonderful three-dimensional quality....featuring individually formed motifs." It also mentions the cord that outlines the motifs. This lace was locked up and I had to ask to see it.
Diana M said... (5/11/05 3:01 PM) Reply
What a precious labor of love on your part -- congratulations on a tremendous job well done!
PhyllisC said... (5/11/05 2:34 PM) Reply
You found alencon lace at Jo-Ann's??? That's amazing! It looks lovely, I don't see anything wrong with it at all.
Sarah2747 said... (5/11/05 1:29 PM) Reply
Very nice! It seems like such a fun project.
CarolynGM said... (5/11/05 11:55 AM) Reply
What a great job you did applying the lace motifs. I bet this veil is much prettier than the $850 one. Please be sure to post a picture of the veil on the bride when you get back.
Peggy L said... (5/11/05 11:44 AM) Reply
Beautiful!!!
bunz said... (5/11/05 10:44 AM) Reply
It's really beautiful!! Isn't it amazing when something you've never done before actually works?!?!?! Thanks for showing us.
PegL said... (5/11/05 10:05 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous! You did a great job! Hmmm...I know how you can make extra $ now! :)
Frogstitcher said... (5/11/05 9:31 AM) Reply
Penelope, you did a lovely job of this veil. DSD must be very pleased. Isn't it fun to do a project that you know will be very appreciated.
BjP said... (5/11/05 8:54 AM) Reply
Beautiful!
casken said... (5/11/05 8:27 AM) Reply
Very nice veil. That is unbelieveable that veils cost $800.00! What a complete rip-off! Sewing definiately saves a lot of money.
The Renaissance Girl said... (5/11/05 7:45 AM) Reply
Simpley lovely!! Very elegant!
KathleenS said... (5/11/05 7:33 AM) Reply
Great work Penelope. I suspect somehow that the $850 veil wouldn't use any better lace than you used so don't worry about that! It would be great to see a picture of it "on" when you have one.

Burda 4333