Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 01-2011-130 (Leggings)

Reviewed by:Elizabeth made this

More Info provided by Elizabeth made this

Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Fabric:Poly-Lycra Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
Dead easy leggings with optional skirt
Pattern Sizing:36-44

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?yes. I really love that the skirt is simply sewn into the waistband. It leaves the door open for a lot of mix and match possibilities plus allows you to wear leggings as pants (and leggings are not pants world!) without flashing the world.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?These are drafted very high waisted. On my original pair, they sit almost at my natural waist. Because they're an under sort of garment, I don't care much about that, but I lowered the rise 4" on my nuclear cantaloupe pair. 4" is not too low on me, but it's on the border, so next time, I'll add an inch, making for 3" total taken out of the rise.

The legs are also quite long. Both times, I've just adjusted the length after I've made them, which has worked.

These have great shaping in the legs. No loosey, goosey leggings here. These are meant to mold to your body.

The skirt lengths and widths are too short and too tight. I'd say if you want to make a skirt, wrap a length of your fabric around your waist to determine how tight you want the skirt and where you want the skirt to hit. Use those measurements and not Burda's. I had to remake my skirt after ending up with a more Jersey Shore vibe than I was looking for. Thankfully I had enough fabric.

And this is a very fast sew. For all of the painstaking changes you make to regular pants, it's pretty refreshing to be able to cut, sew and be wearing something in under an hour.

Fabric Used:#1: cotton/poly ivory rib knit #2: some kind of poly/spandex with some sort of slinky feel to it in what I'm calling "nuclear cantaloupe"

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:shortening as above. If you are on the shorter side of life, I'd really check the rise and the length of the legs, but other than that, there's really very little to do in the way of fit on these.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I will sew these again and again as good fabric comes my way. They'd be great and cozy in a sweater knit, or they could be light and sleek for running in an activewear knit. TNT for sure!

Conclusion: sporty and comfortable
More on my blog.
Elizabeth Made This: Bright and sporty
Pj3g said... (11/10/13 2:39 PM) Reply
I really like the color! Cute!

by: elizaturn