Pattern Reviews> No Pattern Used> undergarments (Bra Copy)

Viewed 1907 times
Reviewed by:Dale C

About Dale Cstarstarstar
HI USA
Posted on:8/18/02 8:01 PM
Last Updated:5/24/03 6:28 PM
Pattern Size:Petite

HatBuddy said... (12/18/08 3:50 PM) Reply
I want to replicate my current bras since the style I wear now is no longer made and is the best fit I have Since I cant find the same elastic others that I have considered are much to wimpy and would provide no better support then a worn out Bra or are too firm and/or not skin friendly and would irritate if rubbing on skin all day. Where did you buy the elastic? Are you happy with the degree of stretchiness (support?) Does the elastic you used seem like it might last beyond just a few wearing and washings? Where did you buy it and what elastic did you use? Thanks for any help you can give me. I have been wanting and desperately needing to make new bras for year but canít find elastic I think will work well enough.
PickleToothbrsh said... (1/10/07 10:45 AM) Reply
I want to try sewing my own lingerie. This article gave me some good ideas. Thanks!
els said... (5/25/03 9:18 AM) Reply
Dale, the fabric which I mentioned earlier as tule is called sheer cup lining (found this out at www.bramakers.com)
Gigi Louis said... (5/24/03 11:35 PM) Reply
Dale, your halter bra is beautiful! Better than RTW.
els said... (5/24/03 10:52 PM) Reply
Dale I have learned to place a piece of non stretching tule in the middle of the bra and because it is tule it will not shine thrue your fabric ,you must sew it together with the lycra or whatever you are using.For the straps here in the Netherlands we can buy them in a matching colour like any other materials you need for making a bra.Your bra looks good and fitts well as you describes,so now you have a good pattern and can experiment with different kinds of embelishments like lace inserting.
Dale C said... (5/24/03 9:27 PM) Reply
MaryBeth, one long strap... Yup. Actually I cut it too long and thought I might want to keep it that way in case I decide to make this into a convertible bra. I'd just have to add a few other findings and things to make it interchangable. This one is very comfortable. I usually don't like underwires but I've found that since I started making my own, they're fine.
MaryBeth said... (5/24/03 7:11 PM) Reply
Sew, that's like one long strap with an adjusting slide going around your neck? I like it. Does it feel good on?
said... (8/19/02 10:50 PM) Reply
Thanks all. And thanks for the tip Skymom. I'm thinking now that I could try interfacing the straps and just cutting and folding it so that it would be two layers. The edges would be encased in a cover stitch and just butted together. I just don't want to resort to strap elastic.
said... (8/19/02 5:59 PM) Reply
Wow, Dale, I'm happy for you that you found a bra that fits AND you made it yourself! Woohoo! I saw that article in Threads, but I didn't have the nerve to do anything more than fantasize about how neat it would be to do it!
said... (8/19/02 1:36 PM) Reply
Dale, I'm not sure how to get the straps really thin. I've made a couple of bras with straps using a poly/lycra blend, lightweight but not as thin as, say, nylon tricot. One set I stitched over elastic, and it was too thick, I thought. The other I think I made as a tube, turned, and topstitched flat, and it's somewhat better. Maybe it's your fabric...I'd use strap elastic if you want thin and narrow. I'm encouraged by your success because I wear a smaller size than you, and haven't been able to purchase a nice bra in years. Maidenform used to have some really pretty ones in smaller sizes, but no longer...
said... (8/19/02 10:04 AM) Reply
Dale-these look great! Talk about a coordinated outfit!
said... (8/19/02 10:01 AM) Reply
What a great looking set! I too LOVE Slinky panties - they are so comfortable.
said... (8/19/02 2:21 AM) Reply
Dale, they look too good to be true. Have scouted the shops for a elastic that would fit, since the RTW bras don't always have everything matching, sometimes only the color, BTW have you thought about reviewing the lingerie book you used? It would be kind of interesting.
said... (8/19/02 0:16 AM) Reply
Dale, that set is fantastic. Victoria's Secret will be jealous!
said... (8/18/02 8:41 PM) Reply
Wow, I love the bar and panties you did a great job. You sewing is beautiful. I enjoy looking at your stuff.
said... (8/18/02 8:08 PM) Reply
Wow! Sensational! And they fit, too. Both the bra and panties are gorgeous. Congratulations on a sensational job. . .well done.

by: Maddychan