Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3032 (Skirt with Flounce)

Reviewed by:Patti B

About Patti Bstarstarstarstar
Member since: 9/29/02
Posted on:6/24/05 6:35 PM
Last Updated:6/24/05 6:35 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Formalwear    Suits / Separates    Skirts

Patti B said... (5/3/10 10:09 AM) Reply
ukdame, I think a doubleknit would be very nice but definitely use wider elastic than the 1/4 inch it calls for. Adding darts will help control the bulk, especially if your knit is heavier. I'm holding my camera -- didn't have a tripod then. ;-)
ukdame said... (5/2/10 8:46 PM) Reply
Love the fit and color. I made my first flounce on a little dress for my DGD but as the edges of the soft seersucker were too difficult to get a tiny pressed edge I tried serging it in a contrast color. Luckily it came out OK. I would like to try this pattern. Would a double knit be too heavy? BTW I was curious as to what you are holding in the pic :)
Shirleyjoy said... (8/19/07 10:35 AM) Reply
Cute touch with the rounded flounces. Looks wonderful!
MaryBeth said... (6/28/05 4:28 PM) Reply
I've been meaning to tell you how much I love your detailed flounce. Thanks for the great idea!
Katharine in BXL said... (6/26/05 10:44 AM) Reply
Neat flounce alteration! Great idea! How very productive you are--you must be looking forward to traveling. I am literally sitting in a new version of this skirt; made today. I wasn't going to make another one because it would be my 4th, but thanks to your inspiration I can think about a 5th without getting too repetitive. Thank you!
Danvillegirl said... (6/25/05 7:20 PM) Reply
Like the change you made with the flounce. Great idea. Skirt looks very nice on you.
Cambric Tea said... (6/25/05 6:25 PM) Reply
Hey that's clever! I really like your inspiration to round the flounce, it's very leg-flattering that way.
Peggy L said... (6/25/05 9:24 AM) Reply
Another sheep in the flock! Looks great!
JDpenelope said... (6/25/05 8:05 AM) Reply
Too cute! Your review makes me want to try an elastic waist skirt again--this time with the right size. :-) The rounded flounce is a stroke of genius.
ryan's mom said... (6/25/05 7:28 AM) Reply
This is a beautiful, flattering skirt on you. Thanks for the idea of using the darts with an elastic waistband application. One of the reasons I shy away from them is too much fullness which adds pounds to my figure. Thanks for that tip!
JoleneF said... (6/25/05 6:57 AM) Reply
Very pretty and very informative, thank-you.
Marita Kinnula said... (6/25/05 1:36 AM) Reply
Oh, I love this skirt, you did very good, color is fabulous and the review is very well written, thank you!:-)
flowermama said... (6/25/05 1:23 AM) Reply
Great idea on the rounded flounces! I'm a sheep and will have to copy this too. :)
Lori V said... (6/24/05 10:26 PM) Reply
Very pretty.
Deepika said... (6/24/05 9:48 PM) Reply
Patii, what a great idea. The rounded flounces do look great and this is such a great way to change this pattern for a different look. I might have to copy you :)
Princess Jenny said... (6/24/05 8:36 PM) Reply
Thank you so much, Patti. :) I will have to give this a try.
Patti B said... (6/24/05 8:35 PM) Reply
Princess Jenny, I cut my elastic 5 inches shorter than my waist which is 2 inches shorter for my size than KwikSew lists on the pattern. I butt the elastic ends against each other and use a zigzag or joining stitch to sew them together and then serge onto the waist. This way there is no little bump where they overlap. Hmm, guess I'm picky about elastic!
Hilary said... (6/24/05 8:28 PM) Reply
How pretty! I love the rounded flounce, and I am going to try the dart idea for the back elastic treatment. Thanks!
jlg said... (6/24/05 8:22 PM) Reply
I love the rounded flounce. It's amazing what a difference that it makes.
AnneM said... (6/24/05 7:47 PM) Reply
Thanks for sharing this idea on the flounce alteration! Your skirt came out very nicely.
Princess Jenny said... (6/24/05 7:06 PM) Reply
I love how feminine your skirt is. And it is such a pretty color on you, too. :) The flounces are so nice rounded---I may have to borrow this technique on some of the flounce skirt patterns I have. I have been wanting to do the serged elastic waist band, but how do you know how long to cut the elastic? I always make the casings and use the skinny elastic---but I like the method of application you used much better.
CarolynGM said... (6/24/05 6:47 PM) Reply
Very nice touch with the rounded flounces. The skirt looks like a good fit and good length.

by: Cation Des...