Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 963-1000 (technical pants)

Reviewed by:bunz

About bunzstar
VA USA
Posted on:7/5/05 11:40 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 2 people

2takeKate said... (3/2/11 6:23 PM) Reply
$85 is very reasonable for custom made pants like these, especially in GoreTex! In outerwear fabric, you do get what you pay for, and you did a great job on this project! I'm working on some biking pants myself -articulated knees are definitely in the plan!
fuzzygalore said... (1/17/06 7:03 AM) Reply
Mmm.. all this talk of articulated knee reminds me of something. Way back when, there was a Threads article by an architect who used origami sort of folds to add ease to strategic places in her pants. Now I didn't think the fold across the butt would ever work for me :-). But she had something like that for knees too. I bet it'd be easier to do for the same articulated effect than all those ##$%^little pieces and the darts too! I've looked at those myself, and snorted myself into hypoxia at the thought of it... The other plus would be that since they're just folds you wouldn't need to seal anything, it should last longer. Ah well, another project...
AnneM said... (7/6/05 4:49 AM) Reply
Fantastic! You could have spent the time sitting at the store studying these, so bringing them home sounds much easier. $85 for a custom made pair of Gortex pants is VERY reasonable.
hongkongshopper said... (7/6/05 4:22 AM) Reply
Wow - boy does he owe you! Fantastic job.
bunz said... (7/5/05 9:24 PM) Reply
A KS pattern?? Ouch! "Making" the pattern took the longest. Probably 20 hrs total -- pattern & sewing over a 2-month period early this spring.
Kay Y said... (7/5/05 8:04 PM) Reply
Great job on these pants! To answer Sherri Pasco, there is a Kwik Sew pattern for women with the pleated/articulated knee feature - it's #2841. They are very basic and make good wind/rain pants.
CarolynGM said... (7/5/05 7:31 PM) Reply
What an ambitious and impressive undertaking. We know how much the pants cost you to make. Now for the next question: how much total time did ti take?
bunz said... (7/5/05 5:21 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the kudos, y'all. I'll definitely be showing him these comments and picking out my favorite restaurant! I think there are probably many folks who ski in Switzerland or own their own sailing yachts who wouldn't blink at the $500 price tag. But it's not for us -- not even on layaway :-) Total cost was $85 which is still high, but that Gore-tex is very expensive stuff.
Miss Fairchild said... (7/5/05 4:48 PM) Reply
$500 for a pair of pants??!! That's fashion robbery. I recall several outdoor stores I used to go shopping in for hiking pants and although they were expensive, they wouldn't have the guts to charge $500 for a pair of pants. You did an excellent job; the articulated knee is perfect! Another technique to make one is to make the knee piece bigger than normal, about 3", then take a tuck in the seam on both sides, leaving the center loose, so that the knee would look like a surgeon's mask. But I'm sure that after this, you want to give it a break. Excellent job! It's great that you have a DH who loves you to sew for him!
Hilary said... (7/5/05 4:30 PM) Reply
LOL, what a woman!! You are amazing, to do that for him-I would have suggested layaway, :oP Great job, those are incredible pants. It's hard to believe you did it without a pattern. Very cool!
sherri2sew said... (7/5/05 3:43 PM) Reply
Fussy, or not, he should be well pleased that you custom made his pants and saved hundreds of dollars, too. Great job! Has anyone seen a pattern with this "articulated knee" feature? My daughter wants pants with this and I'm not ready to try drafting it. Again bunz, great job. Consider yourself more than a beginner now.
Mary Stiefer said... (7/5/05 1:43 PM) Reply
Wow - the wormanship is fantastic. What a lucky guy to have you in his life.
purpleseamstress said... (7/5/05 1:23 PM) Reply
Nina, I hope he gives you an awesome night on the town for this job! How incredible! I'm really impressed!!!! What did the final project cost you? I'm sure you did better than the $500.
Patti B said... (7/5/05 12:11 PM) Reply
Nina, wow, what a great job. This is really a labor of love and I'm sure that he loves them ... he'd better!

Skinny Bitch Curvy Chick SB322