|DH managed to tear the pocket on one of his favorite RTW work shirts. For him pockets are essential, so I didn't want this tear to ruin the whole shirt--just taking off the pocket wasn't an option if I wanted the shirt to be actually worn again. Tacking it together would look to "tacky" for me to be happy.
I had to make a new pocket, but didn't have any matching fabric. Instead of making contrast pockets, I used fabric from the shirt itself. I had DH try on the shirt, then I marked the highest point the hem could be and still stay tucked in well. I had enough fabric at the center back near the hem to make a new pocket. After cutting out the pocket, I rehemmed the shirt with my new rolled hem foot.
I removed the torn original pocket with my seam ripper and edgstitched the new pocket in the same place-using the ripped out seam as a guide. It looks as good as new.