SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login
Platinum Sponsor

Tips & Techniques > Easy, Even Hems

Viewed 5480 times
Posted by: Heidi H
Friend of PR

About Heidi H star
Member since: 11/25/06
Reviews: 19 (tips: 4)
Skill level:Advanced Beginner
Favored by: 1 people
Report a problem with this review
Posted on: 3/1/07 5:12 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people   Very Helpful by 3 people   
Web site/URL: photo
I always seemed to have problems getting any hems straight. I found a neat little notion that is described at a Button Hole Spacer. I think I paid about $3 for it at Jo-Ann's.

When I'm ready to hem, I set this little slide on the ruler to the depth of the hem. Then I just go around using this and pin the fabric. I have also measured twice the depth and marked the fabric and then just sew by aligning the edge with the mark.

Super easy and straight hem.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

Login to Add a Comment    
MarMar said... (3/8/07 3:27 PM) Reply
I have use similar measures to have a straight hem and when completed the hem is straight however, if the person who is going to wear the garmet is a little more curvey that the hem will not be straight on the person.
squilts said... (3/6/07 3:03 PM) Reply
do I feel dumb... I never thought about doubling the hem measure and just folding up to the line. I always try to fold over the gauge and press. I like your way better!!
Heidi H said... (3/2/07 6:32 PM) Reply
Linscee, I thought the name was strange too but that is what it is called at Jo-Ann's
Patzee said... (3/2/07 5:26 PM) Reply
Heidi -- no apologies! It's a good tip! Not eveyone who reads this will know about this clever use for this ruler. So -- thanks for the tip!
frame said... (3/2/07 1:58 PM) Reply
I've never seen this called a button-hole spacer, but I have used it for that. I believe it's usually called a seam gauge and used for exactly what you are using it for. I've had the same one for 36 years.
Heidi H said... (3/2/07 11:33 AM) Reply
Gee, I looked through all the tips and didn't see this so I thought I was coming up with a good idea LOL PoppyB, I guess I didn't think of that, I just sew for my daughter who right now is still a board with arms and legs...well some little bitty bumps.
Susan M said... (3/2/07 10:40 AM) Reply
I use this tool all the time; for hems on pants, dresses and sleeves; measuring in on the neck line, making seam allowances anywhere I need to measure in smaller increments. Couldn't sew very well without it.
PoppyB said... (3/2/07 7:03 AM) Reply
I agree that this is a good way to get the hem depth even. However, if the person wearing the garment doesn't 'hang' evenly (has uneven bumps and bulges, as many of us do), then the hem will hang unevenly. So, alas, manyof us still need 'from the floor' measuring first.
Barbara R said... (3/2/07 0:53 AM) Reply
I have about 10 of these rulers and keep one on hand just about everywhere in my sewing room. I use mine constantly! And yes, it is a great tool for hemming.
Mary Stiefer said... (3/1/07 11:51 PM) Reply
This is also my technique. I love this little ruler.
Kathy in NM said... (3/1/07 10:29 PM) Reply
This is what I do also. It makes it easy to be sure your hem is even. I didn't know the ruler was called a Button Hole Spacer though!
adv. search»
pattern | machine | member
Online Class
Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS
Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS

Class Details

Online Class
Perfectly Fitted Shirt
Perfectly Fitted Shirt

Class Details

SewBaby Travel Nappers Pattern

SewBaby Travel Nappers Pattern

Pattern Details
Sewing Workshop Oasis Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Oasis Skirt Pattern

Pattern Details

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2016® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.