I had never touched a sewing machine in my life before this class, had never read any books about sewing, and had obviously never taken any sewing classes before. So I have nothing to compare to this class.
That said, this class was a great introduction. Diana Rupp was knowledgeable and inspiring. She gives very clear instructions in a very friendly manner. Diana doesn't make you feel stupid even when she's explaining seemingly basic things and I felt comfortable asking any question.
Diana covered the following:
- How a sewing machine worked (she demonstrated by using different colored thread for the bobbin and thread spool)
- The parts of the sewing machine and terminology
- Best practices (like only turning the wheel towards you)
- How to wind a bobbin
- How to thread the machine
- Pinning material
- What to look for when buying a machine
- Adjusting tension, stitch length, back stitching, etc...
Then we each made a small wallet/pencil case with our newfound knowledge.
The only downside is that the class is a bit pricey -- $80 for a 2 hour class, but it's NYC so it's on par with other classes.
I highly recommend this class if you have no prior sewing machine experience.