|This started with patch pockets on baby clothes. The pockets were so small that I couldn't sew around them with any sort of accuracy. In the end I traced the final shape of the pocket onto tearaway stabiliser, and made a sandwich with two pieces of fabric right sides together and the tearaway tracing on top. I pinned the sandwich together, and then sewed around the tracing. Only then did I cut out the pocket, and turn it.
The sandwich was much easier to steer than the little pocket bits, and the stabiliser also helped stop distortion.
The same technique would also work for small collars - only this time the tearaway stabiliser could actually be sew-in interfacing.