Member since 10/29/03
Date: 12/26/06 7:48 PM
It's time to think about sewing goals for next year.
I was looking over my sewing goals for 2006 & actually did pretty well. The only thing I haven't done at all is paint SR & make the window treatment. So, that's #1 on next year's list.
2007 Sewing Goals.
1. Paint sewing room & make window treatment.
2. Keep a sewing journal.
3. Sew down the stash.
4. Develop some TNT patterns.
5. Overcome of fear of buttonholes (new SM?)
6. Use serger more.
So, what's everyone else's plans for 2007?
Sewing Makes Me Happy
Member since 2/28/05
PR Weekend Volunteer
Date: 12/26/06 7:58 PM
I'm going to be brave enough to keep track of how much fabric I buy as well as how much I sew.
2012 : starting stash 386, net additions 206, used 164, ending stash 428...I'm never going to get in front of this pile of fabric!
Member since 12/12/06
Date: 12/26/06 8:29 PM
#1 Try to use up my stash
#2 Get dh to help me set up the John Flynn frame I bought 6 months ago and see if I can figure out how to use it.
#3 Make some actual garments instead of quilts, baby blankets, placemats, Christmas stockings - basically, everything but garments.
#4 Learn not to be so critical of my work - try to remember that I first started sewing a year ago.
#5 Post more instead of just reading everyone else's posts.
Happy New Year and Happy Sewing to ALL!
Member since 4/23/02
Date: 12/26/06 8:36 PM
A list of some of my goals for 2007
1. complete a SWAP 2007 contest thru Timmelfabrics.com.
2. sew down my stash.
3. Develop some more TNT patterns (I have a couple)
4. Learn how and use my New to me Pfaff 7570 this year.
5. work with my DGD's on sewing more.
Happy New Year to all..!!!!!
-- Edited on 12/26/06 8:37 PM --
Member since 8/20/02
Date: 12/26/06 8:48 PM
I did good on some of my goals and totally flunked on others. I sewed a lot for myself, and sewed at least one item from most recent Burda WOF magazines. I bummed at stash reduction. I wanted to bring my stash down to 150 yds from 170 something yds. It is 198 yds at the moment. Not only it didn't get smaller, it got larger. My sewing goals for this year:
1) Keep with the sewing journal, it helps me stay on track and remember what, why, and how. It's fun to read too.
2) Sew more trendy stuff because I made a lot of classics last year and my wardrobe is becoming boring. I subscribed to Lucky and bought an issue today as a preview. There are a couple things there I like. I can easily sew knockoffs with patterns I already have. Therefore, my second goal, is to make at least one knockoff from each issue.
3) I am at the point where I am not stressed about having nothing to wear anymore. Kids are all set too. My third goal is to slow down and enjoy it, be maticulous if I feel like it, make muslins, obsess with details. I am not going to rush and stress this year. I will sew waht I feel like sewing instead of what I need to sew.
4) My fabric stash - maybe I will bring it down to 150 yds this time around. At least it should go down, not up by the end of the year.
Good luck with your goals.
Fabric bought in 2009: 30 yds
Fabrc sewn in 2009: 19 yds
Fabric stash: 145 yds
3 Garments IN and 6 Garments OUT
South Carolina USA
Member since 5/10/05
Date: 12/26/06 8:57 PM
The one thing I would llike to do this year is learn to make all my husbands dress clothes.
Numbers for 2013:
Yards in stash: 606.25
Yards in: 22.75
Yards out: 10.50
Numbers for 2012:
594.00 yards in stash
4 yards in
10.25 yards out
Numbers for 2011:
601.25 yards in stash (I'm sure this number is off by a few yards)
Yards in: 137.50 (Seriously? I'm over 100, and it's only JULY? Ugh!)
Yards out: 88.75
Member since 4/2/05
Date: 12/26/06 11:02 PM
As a fabriholic who has been hopefully scared straight my goals for 2007 are to:
1. Organize and catalogue my stash.
2. Get rid of at least half of the fabric scraps I've saved.
3. Sew every week to reduce my stash.
4. Not buy any more fabric except to complete a project.
5. Make at least 4 garments a month.
6. Sew garments that are more creative and stylish.
7. Complete a SWAP.
8. Keep a sewing journal
-- Edited on 12/26/06 11:06 PM --
"You never see a stamp collector lick a stamp"
Collection Measured as of 2007: 550 yards
2008 - 2011: sewn 227 yards ; garments made 97 fabric bought 329.875+ yards
2012: Sewn 17.33 yds; Garments made 6
Member since 10/20/05
Date: 12/26/06 11:22 PM
Ahem. My sewing goal for 2007 is to...
And not just sit on my bahookey reading about sewing.
What a concept!
... but what do I know?
Member since 12/6/03
Date: 12/27/06 1:27 AM
I love the last post---I am cracking up!
I am also cracking up that some of you actually KNOW how many yards are in your stash. I am not sure how many containers I even have. I am somewhat organized that they are in huge containers by type--will sort of. How did you all figure out how much yardage you really had?
Oh well, my goals:
1. Reduce my stash. For heavens sake--it is wasteful and selfish to keep all that fabric and do nothing with it.
2. Only buy fabric that will go with a project I am making from my stash except for gifts.
3. Start much, much earlier on Christmas ( I did say that this year, but it was not early enough). I have six kids who all think I can sew anything! The top three have children and they all think I can sew anything.
4. SEW FOR MYSELF!! That was my goal last year, but we had a horrendous year and I did a lot of home dec because we remodled. My dh has graciously said he would help me make a dress form double of some variety. I have my fabric separated out and no matter how lumpy, bumpy my figure has gotten over the years--I am determined to make myself some clothes.
5. I want to really improve my fine art of sewing techniques. In my stash I found a lovely black wool tailored jacket all cut out and too small for me now. I am going to use my oldest daughter as a guinea pig and make it for her first.
6. I will find a more experienced sewing mentor who can help me. I have already begged for this person who makes custom clothes for famous people to help me---maybe?? If she will just show me how to make pockets on a tailored jacket!! I am so visual.
7. Last! We just changed churches because of my husband's job and they have a huge home ec room. It includes around 10 machines, and five kitchens! They run the girls 1st - 6th grade through in shifts on Wed. nights. They have asked if I would like to teach. I think it is important to pass along our love of sewing to the next generation as a gift.
"Sewing should be fun; make it that way!" Margaret Islander
Flying through life by the seat of my pants and hoping I get my crotch curve right.
"No humiliation is too great for a well fitting pair of pants!" Heidi Cooper
Pfaff C1100 Pro
Babylock Eclipse serger
My grandmother's Feather Weight
Member since 3/25/02
Date: 12/27/06 6:31 AM
I don't even remember my 2006 goals.... I guess because I didn't write them down and work on them.
1. Sew more... I agree, now that's a concept
2. Reduce the stash
3. I've pretty much stopped buying fabric, so I'll continue on this line and only purchase items to complete projects.
4. Make kitchen curtains & recover chair seats
5. Redo living room....curtains, fitted slipcovers
6. Work on improving techniques.
7. Finish UFOs once and for all....or get rid of them.
8. Learn to fit better. I too need a sewing mentor.
9. Use my serger